• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I need a new light

Winston The Mad

5 Year Member
My last bulb just busted for some reason (it was a PowerSun 125W), so now I need a new one, preferably cheap with the same wattage. Does anyone know a good brand other than the PowerSun bulbs?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you sure it was a Zoo-Med Power-Sun? They only come in 100 and 160 watts. They are also about the cheapest of the MVs.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would spend the extra money and get a good mercury vapor, you can find them under 40.00.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've been using 100W T-Rex Active UV Heat bulbs lately. Last month I bought (3) from LLL Reptile for $37.50, much less than anyone else. One lasted 2 days, the second was DOA, haven't tried the third one yet. I need to call and see if I can return them, but I've had them for a month before I used them. Maybe I should have paid more someplace else??

Wooly

5 Year Member
I'd use a 160watt mv and a flood lamp, halogen, or full spectrum light. Other people might be able to help you out more, as I do not have a cage that size yet.

Tux

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
I've been using 100W T-Rex Active UV Heat bulbs lately. Last month I bought (3) from LLL Reptile for $37.50, much less than anyone else. One lasted 2 days, the second was DOA, haven't tried the third one yet. I need to call and see if I can return them, but I've had them for a month before I used them. Maybe I should have paid more someplace else??

I have megarays sitting on the shelf for backups and the warranty is gone by the time I use em, however I have never had a DOA or any other problem with them, they are more expensive but they are rock solid bulbs.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Wooly said:
I'd use a 160watt mv and a flood lamp, halogen, or full spectrum light. Other people might be able to help you out more, as I do not have a cage that size yet.

So are you talking about one of the tube lights and a basking spot? Or can I just use one of the Mega Ray bulbs only?

Wooly

5 Year Member
use a mega ray which has both uvb and heat and also another heat bult with the enclosure being 7ft. i like to stay away from the tub uvbs, imo.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends how far away it is from the basking spot. They're probably good for 2 feet, but you won't get the right basking temp at that distance unless you use a BIG MegaRay. You would be best to use a Halogen bulb for basking so you can play with different distances and wattages to get the right temp.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
For big enclosures I kind of like the UVB tube lights because then the reptile will be exposed to it no matter where they are in the tank, so long as they can get high enough to be near it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
For big enclosures I kind of like the UVB tube lights because then the reptile will be exposed to it no matter where they are in the tank, so long as they can get high enough to be near it.
I agree.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
So for example, I could put the mega ray in the middle of the cage and like a Halogen off to the right corner for a basking spot? Would something like that work? And how high can a mega ray be off the ground before UVB does not reach the bottom?

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
I agree aswell, infact that's what I did with my cage. A repti-Glo 5.0
about 8 inches high and a 75 basking light for daytime, and a regular red floodlight for night heat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan