• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I need help

DannyP

5 Year Member
hello people

i bougth 2 tegus 2 weeks ago as tupinambis rufescens
but i think its something else

whut do u guys/gals think?

post-232-1211307817.jpg

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Hate to break it to you, but there is no way that is a red tegu. It is definitely an argentine because of its loreal scales though. However, that looks like a black and white to me... unless it is a severely malnourished red...

tupinambis

5 Year Member
Hate to break it to you, but loreal scales are two on that animal, and both Tupinambis merianae and T.rufescens have two loreal scales (typically). Colour is an unreliable trait, but patterning is more reliable, and the dorsal patterning on that tegu is reflective of T.rufescens. Other morphometric measures would help clear up the confusion.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
Hate to break it to you, but loreal scales are two on that animal, and both Tupinambis merianae and T.rufescens have two loreal scales (typically). Colour is an unreliable trait, but patterning is more reliable, and the dorsal patterning on that tegu is reflective of T.rufescens. Other morphometric measures would help clear up the confusion.

I am completely aware that it is a Tupinambis, and I said that in my response, just I used the term Argentine instead. I could definately be wrong about what I said, but it really does not look like a red to me... or at least, not a full bred red. But once again, I could be wrong.

tupinambis

5 Year Member
Sorry, Azaleah, I read your original statement incorrectly. However, I stipulate again, colour is NOT a reliable feature. I've seen many T.rufescens that had next to no red in them whatsoever. Take for instance the fact that some researchers thought at one time that T.rufescens (ie. red) and T.duseni (ie.yellow) were the same species. You have to look at more reliable characters than colour. Anyone that solely relies on colour to differentiate species clearly doesn't know their species.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree Colin, it looks like a red judging by the pattern, however it is one of the light colored reds I have seen, it does look much like a BnW x Red to me.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
Sorry, Azaleah, I read your original statement incorrectly.

No problem. I just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding.

However now that I am looking at the animal, I do see how it more greatly resembles a red than a black and white. I just never knew that reds came so light. Maybe it'll brighten up with some UVB light?