• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I need some help....

ImBooBy

5 Year Member
Hi, Ive had my tegus for 2 years now and they have hibernated. I have gotten them ready to hibernate by not feeding them and even tried to lower temps with a dimmer.....Nothing worked! They just stayed out and continued to bask like normal. I felt bad for not feeding them for a month so I fed him the other day and he ate normal. Now that hibernation time is almost over should I just go ahead and feed him normal with normal temps or keep trying? They will be moving to a bigger enclosure in about 2 or 3 months once I am done building it outside so....Any ideas anyone?

AlpineStar

5 Year Member
from my knowledge of asking and reading and personal experience. you cant really force hibernation i dont think if it wants to it will if not keep with the same routine you were on before winter kicked in. hope it helped and anyone correct me if im mistaken

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus will stop eating on their own before hibernation, if they are still eating and not trying to hibernate, then just continue to feed them.

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi, I thought mine was going to hibernate this year. He went off food in Sept. so I just stopped feeding him but he kept basking. I went in there mid Oct. to change his water and he came FLYING out of this hide like he was after something. I went and got some rats and WHAM he ate like crazy and hasnt slowed down again. I dunno if he was confused by the lighting but that it was still warm in the house or what. I just keep feeding him. If they dont want to hibernate I dont think you can force it.

Carole

2818092800033952798S500x500Q85.jpg

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
that picture made me laugh alot on your post reptilezz and to imbooby I could not keep mine from hibernating and she started not being interested in feeod herself and not getting up to bask for three four days in a row then just stopped coming out. She slept for 6 months and just woke up the other day. I say do whatever they want and sont try and force it into anything. I think it has more to do with the animals biological clocks than the tempiture, lighting or food suppy. The animals know best in this case I believe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980