• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I thought I found my female Blue...

DanRC30

5 Year Member
Well, this weekend I found a 2' blue this weekend at a show. It wasn't in the best shape (skin dry) and they said it was a platinum blue female het for albino that came from Underground Reptiles. I don't think a "platinum blue" ever came from them... Anyway, it had a small kink in the tail, the skin was not so good, and it was missing the forked part of its tongue. Apparently it bit it off... I really want a female, so I went back and forth and we came to a deal. I took the animal, and then said to myself, maybe I should probe it to make sure it's a girl. Sure enough, the probes went very deep... it's a boy. So I brought it back and they gladly returned my money. I think it was still too young to have developed the cheek pouches... So, my search continues... :cry:

dorton

5 Year Member
Oh well, that sucks. at least they geve a refund.
But, at the same time make sure if it is a healthy blue female you want, I would suggest you make sure a pick out a healthy specimen sounds like that one was a little rough.
Just keep digging, you'll find one.

DanRC30

5 Year Member
I think so. This tegu was NOT from Underground... they bought it from them about 2 years ago. The condition of this animal had nothing to do with Underground...

Sorry if there was any confusion.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I never buy from shows. There are some good breeders, but a lot of lousy ones. Besides that, the animals have been traveling in cramped quarters for sometimes days and aren't in the best condition. Then they have to travel all the way to your house. Sometimes the setup isn't even ready.

It's overwhelming to see so many cool animals at once. It kind of encourages impulse buys. I go to look at the animals for reference, talk to breeders, and visit seminars. That's about it.

I think this purchase was not meant to be. Don't feel too bad. You only had one choice available to you, and it wasn't in good health. You admitted it yourself. Even if it was a girl, what if this tegu had serious health complications?

Luckily, tegus are popular animals, a blue female is not an impossible find. With patience you'll succeed. I know that East Bay Vivarium in CA had a blue female a while ago. Probably sold by now, but you may want to check.

-Chris

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I always hear from upset friends who go to reptile cons and buy reptiles unprepared, which die, and they always come crying to me....

Sounds like you know what you want and have done your research, just make sure that it is the right one ;)

Good luck!

DanRC30

5 Year Member
I know most of the vendors at this show, so I know who I can trust and who I can't. I don't think the Tegu was "unhealthy" per se, it was just having some dry skin issues... although that could be the result of a poor diet. It was probably young enough to be brought back to perfect health and be fine.

I have spoken with East Bay and they don't have anything now. I know of one female Blue that another member here owns, but they won't sell to me. I'm willing to offer a good sum for her... at least double what they paid for her initially. Her look is exactly what I'm looking for. From what they have said, they won't sell her.

There was one sold on Fauna late last year also, and I'd be willing to make a similar deal with the person that bought that animal, but I can't find the purchaser.

If anyone here has or knows of a nice looking female Blue available (hi white), please contact me privately. I'll even pay a finders fee or an offer at first 'pick of the litter' after they produce at a deeply discounted price. I've been looking for months... someone out there has to know something!

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
It might not be the best idea to try and buy people's personal pets off of them. If someone tried to buy my lizards or snake and I wasn't selling, I might get a little bit offended to be honest. It'd be like someone trying to buy my kids. If you're really want to find a blue tegu, you've got to network. Haggling for a price on someone's beloved pet, which they may view as priceless, might turn them off and make them unwilling to give you some help in the future.

Just my take.

-Chris

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DanRC30 said:
I know most of the vendors at this show, so I know who I can trust and who I can't. I don't think the Tegu was "unhealthy" per se, it was just having some dry skin issues... although that could be the result of a poor diet. It was probably young enough to be brought back to perfect health and be fine.

I have spoken with East Bay and they don't have anything now. I know of one female Blue that another member here owns, but they won't sell to me. I'm willing to offer a good sum for her... at least double what they paid for her initially. Her look is exactly what I'm looking for. From what they have said, they won't sell her.

There was one sold on Fauna late last year also, and I'd be willing to make a similar deal with the person that bought that animal, but I can't find the purchaser.

If anyone here has or knows of a nice looking female Blue available (hi white), please contact me privately. I'll even pay a finders fee or an offer at first 'pick of the litter' after they produce at a deeply discounted price. I've been looking for months... someone out there has to know something!

I have seen them on the kingsnake classifieds are, but they didn't look too healthy. You might want to keep an eye out there!

DanRC30

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
It might not be the best idea to try and buy people's personal pets off of them. If someone tried to buy my lizards or snake and I wasn't selling, I might get a little bit offended to be honest. It'd be like someone trying to buy my kids. If you're really want to find a blue tegu, you've got to network. Haggling for a price on someone's beloved pet, which they may view as priceless, might turn them off and make them unwilling to give you some help in the future.

Just my take.

-Chris

Chris,
Who mentioned haggling? I'm offering a nice sum for one... If I shouldn't buy one from a personal collection, where should I get one then? A pet shop?

You think of your reptiles as your kids and would be offended if someone made you an offer on one? Did you purchase your children? Where did you get your reptiles from? You had to purchase them from somewhere... Hmmm.... I really care for my animals, but I think that crosses the line into a whole nother realm.... being offended because someone offers you money for a reptile is a definite first for me...

Not trying to offend... just being honest...

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
No offense taken. I don't actually have kids, I was just making a comparison. I buy all my animals from breeders who are intending to sell their animals. I don't like to think of reptiles as a commodity. When I purchase something, it's a lifelong commitment. I put so much time and effort into the animals I keep, that it wouldn't make sense for me to sell them.

Imagine for a second that you just woke up and decided to take your dog for a walk. Your enjoy your canine companion's company, when someone comes up from behind you. They start telling you what a nice dog it is, and before you know it, they're asking you prices, telling you they'll pay whatever it costs. I don't know about you, but I'd do my best to get walk away from the situation as soon as possible.

I may be alone on this one, but I just feel a strong connection with my reptilian pets. They're my friends, not just collectibles to show off. That's my personal opinion, but you're free to do whatever you like.

-Chris

DanRC30

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
They're my friends, not just collectibles to show off.

Well, I don't keep reptiles to show them off necessarily. I also don't think that people have them for just one reason or the other. There's different levels of dedication and commitment in between. But I do think that you can't compare a dog to a reptile as far as friends go. I've never heard of an attack tegu or a tegu that would defend your house against a burglar.

I keep reptiles for my enjoyment... not really for theirs. I mean, let's be honest... do you really think these animals prefer to be in captivity or in the wild living free? Do you think that think of you as their "friend"? Do you think they have the ability to have that higher level of thinking to be able to have "friends"? (I just had a thought... someone should make a painting of "Tegu's playing cards... lol!)

Sorry man... again, no offense meant, but I think you need to interact with some more people... reptiles just aren't "friends". I need some help with moving some stuff this weekend and my Tegu isn't willing to help me, but my friend Marc is... ;-)

Tell ya what though, if you find me a nice female blue, I'll be your best friend in the world!!! :p

snakehandler

5 Year Member
DanRC30 said:
shiftylarry said:
They're my friends, not just collectibles to show off.

Well, I don't keep reptiles to show them off necessarily. I also don't think that people have them for just one reason or the other. There's different levels of dedication and commitment in between. But I do think that you can't compare a dog to a reptile as far as friends go. I've never heard of an attack tegu or a tegu that would defend your house against a burglar.

I keep reptiles for my enjoyment... not really for theirs. I mean, let's be honest... do you really think these animals prefer to be in captivity or in the wild living free? Do you think that think of you as their "friend"? Do you think they have the ability to have that higher level of thinking to be able to have "friends"? (I just had a thought... someone should make a painting of "Tegu's playing cards... lol!)

Sorry man... again, no offense meant, but I think you need to interact with some more people... reptiles just aren't "friends". I need some help with moving some stuff this weekend and my Tegu isn't willing to help me, but my friend Marc is... ;-)

Tell ya what though, if you find me a nice female blue, I'll be your best friend in the world!!! :p

you can see that in different ways.
for myself i try to give them the best treatment so that they can be happy animals. its not that theyre friends as a human would be or not be but being dedicated to these animals means tp put all your effort into making them have a good life.
so yeah keeping reptiles would not only be for your own enjoyment, its a commitment you make.

DanRC30

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
you can see that in different ways.
for myself i try to give them the best treatment so that they can be happy animals. its not that theyre friends as a human would be or not be but being dedicated to these animals means tp put all your effort into making them have a good life.
so yeah keeping reptiles would not only be for your own enjoyment, its a commitment you make.

Of course we try to make them as happy as possible! At least I wish most people did! I've seen some horrible conditions... I've saved many animals from those conditions...

All I'm saying is I draw the line at calling them my "friends". They're pets and I enjoy having them around...

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Sorry man... again, no offense meant, but I think you need to interact with some more people... reptiles just aren't "friends".
Sorry, the dog to reptile comparison was a bad one. Reptiles are not dogs, they are not domesticated, and probably don't like being captives all that much. For future reference, don't introduce a slap in the face insult with a "no offense". There's no need to insult my intelligence.

It just seems that reptiles are not viewed in a way that benefits their well being. Look at the ball python trade. It's like they're dollar signs, not living creatures. People trade out their old animals with the same indifference as buying a new pair of shoes. Working at animal rescues has taught me just how few people care. If some of the same laws were applied to reptiles as they were to dogs, I think a lot more people would reconsider the way they view these wonderful animals. That's why I made the distinction between pets and friends. To emphasize the commitment that comes with the animal.

I have obviously strayed waaay off topic. Sorry, but I wanted to make some points, and I feel like I'm falling on deaf ears.

DanRC30

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
Sorry man... again, no offense meant, but I think you need to interact with some more people... reptiles just aren't "friends".
For future reference, don't introduce a slap in the face insult with a "no offense". There's no need to insult my intelligence.

Bro, it wasn't meant as a slap in the face... it was more like tongue-in-cheek-humor... ;) Just a lil sarcasm for humor sake...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.