• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Iggy questions :)

nessanicolle

Hello everyone!

As some of you know I just got myself an iguana which is about 2 ft. long and supposedly a year and a half year old. Many people and websites have said you need to leave it alone in its cage for a week or to so it can get used to it's cage. Well it's almost been a week and he's still pretty skiddish but before when i held him he calmed down quite well. Do you guys think it'd be okay for me to take him outside for a little while just to get some natural sun and warm up? Hoping it wouldn't stress him out a whole lot?

-Thanks, Vanessa

Tegu Boss

It's called constructional agresion tretment. I'm not sure exactly what it is but there is a great video on youtube explaining it much better than i ever could, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSwjBKJdJE

steve1

i would be Leary of taking it outside if you have no previous experience with a sun crazed Iguana, they can get pretty crazy in natural sunlight and if it gets away from you will most likely take off like a shot in the dark. start slow spending time with it in its enclosure talking to it and just petting and talking to it. then work your way to holding it ALOT. the key to Iguanas is socialization and lots of it. figure out its favorite food or treat and offer that to him, mine always liked bananas or figs. keep at it and dont back down from any aggression

bmx3000max

steve1 said:
i would be Leary of taking it outside if you have no previous experience with a sun crazed Iguana, they can get pretty crazy in natural sunlight and if it gets away from you will most likely take off like a shot in the dark. start slow spending time with it in its enclosure talking to it and just petting and talking to it. then work your way to holding it ALOT. the key to Iguanas is socialization and lots of it. figure out its favorite food or treat and offer that to him, mine always liked bananas or figs. keep at it and dont back down from any aggression

Agreed

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would hold off on taking the ig outside unless you have a for sure way of keeping him/her from getting away. An iguana in the sun that hasn't been accustomed to you is a totally different story. I pretty much had to restart the taming experience with my cayman hybrid iguana, Buzz when I moved him into his permanent outdoor enclosure, now, after many months of living outside, he has tamed back down, he's a 15-16lb monster that I'm glad to have on my side!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980