• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Im learningabout Tegus which should I buy?

amon60628

5 Year Member
Hi Im new to the Tegu community and know that there are lots of different colors and sizes out there..I know for sure that I dont want a Columbian Tegu because they get pretty aggressive or is this true? Which Tegu should I get.

I already know where Im going to purchase it from and thats
Varnyard-Herps-inc.com

TE GU-RU

5 Year Member
i would definately go with an Argentine Black and White, i recently got mine and hes as friendly as can be. but remember they do get fairly big and youll eventually need a big cage

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
The decision is just based on what you can house and what you like the most...argentine black and whites are fairly large tegu but are known to be the nicest, my chacoan tegu after 2 weeks of working has become my most friendy tegu but is the largest tegu species...reds are awesome red tegus and sometimes can be larger than black and white tegus....the all-american tegu is a combination of red, blue, and chacoan tegus and to be honest i don't know much about them lol i would totally go for an Chacoan Extreme Giant tegu but they get big so you'll a larger enclosure for them as adults but as far as my collection my chacoan is the most tame, the most friendly, and the most social =P

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well to me the choice comes down to how much are you willing to spend on the animals and what color. Ya some people would say that B&Ws and Reds need a bigger cage than blues, but my blue is close to 4.5' long so even blues will need a large cage. B&Ws from Varnyard is a great tegu, they all tend to be tame and make great pets. They are not too expensive and by getting it from Varnnyard you know you'll have back up for any questions for the life of your tegu. If you get a red be perpared to feed lots of fruits. B&Ws need fruits but reds have to have them otherwise they can get some skin shedding issues. Blues will eat fruits but don't need them. Also keep in mind B&Ws and Reds hibernate for 3-7 months outta the year, Blues will slow down for a few months but most tend not to hibernate (except this year my tegu is sleeping this winter out).

Has for Hybrids well it depends on what they are mixed with. If your looking at getting a Varnyard animal then it would be an all American Tegu (red, white and blue) Best to ask other people on the fourm who have these what they think of them.

As for the sub types of B&Ws (giants, white heads, and now black heads). I would sum these all under B&Ws in general. Yes the giants on average to get bigger and the white heads stay whiters and the black heads, well have a darker head. But personality and husbandry are the same.

Last factor besides color... price. so take a look around and look at picturs, ask owners question.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
If I were you I would be seriously looking at a black & white or extreme giant, then, the reds.

...Jefroka

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
if i was getting another tegu i would get a red i also heard that they have more of a personality more than the bw anyways

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
The owner makes more difference than the tegu and some black and whites or reds get bigger than chacoans too so just go for whichever you like the most besides Columbians which are difficult in general.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
chelvis said:
Also keep in mind B&Ws and Reds hibernate for 3-7 months outta the year, Blues will slow down for a few months but most tend not to hibernate (except this year my tegu is sleeping this winter out).
Our Blues are down too! It's really odd this winter! Normally they just slow down and we see them most days.

I still have 2 Blue hatchlings available. 3 months old and 18" long. The parents are 3.5 feet long. They tend to stay smaller than B&W's but there are exceptions.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon, i'm glad my blue isnt that only one. His been in his humidity bin for the last month and he has blacked the enterance with the mulch that is in the bin. My hatchling though has been out everyday and is not slowing down. I hate to wake up my sleeping boy but i'm leaving for a long term internship and i want to make sure he's ok before my family takes over on tegu watch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan