• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Impacted Tegu

Weston

Hey, all. Hopefully this is in the right forum. If not, please move it to the correct one.

Anyway, so my yearling All-American has been pretty constipated this past week, and after trying the usual remedies (upping heat, bathing, massaging, mineral oil, etc.) I finally decided it was time to take her to the vet. She's been pretty bloated, pushes real hard when trying to defecate with getting only a little bit of liquid out. She was given an xray, and $150 later I found that shes got a load of 4 or 5 rocks in her gut, that shes apparently been finding and eating. She's having a hard time passing them just because of the size of them relative to her pelvis. The vet said my options were pretty limited, with surgery or euthanasia as basically my only options. She also suggested putting her under an anesthetic and then trying to massage them out, though the vet didn't sound too confident that it would work. It was pretty heartbreaking to hear, and I told them I'd like a day or so to think about what I wanted to do. I come to you asking for advice on what the best course of action would be? Surgery is pretty expensive, and seeing that shes only a year old and as such fairly small, could be a very risky maneuver that she may not even wake up from. Either way, I'd seriously appreciate some input. The last thing I wanna have to do is bury my little girl =(

thanks guys.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Weston said:
Hey, all. Hopefully this is in the right forum. If not, please move it to the correct one.

Anyway, so my yearling All-American has been pretty constipated this past week, and after trying the usual remedies (upping heat, bathing, massaging, mineral oil, etc.) I finally decided it was time to take her to the vet. She's been pretty bloated, pushes real hard when trying to defecate with getting only a little bit of liquid out. She was given an xray, and $150 later I found that shes got a load of 4 or 5 rocks in her gut, that shes apparently been finding and eating. She's having a hard time passing them just because of the size of them relative to her pelvis. The vet said my options were pretty limited, with surgery or euthanasia as basically my only options. She also suggested putting her under an anesthetic and then trying to massage them out, though the vet didn't sound too confident that it would work. It was pretty heartbreaking to hear, and I told them I'd like a day or so to think about what I wanted to do. I come to you asking for advice on what the best course of action would be? Surgery is pretty expensive, and seeing that shes only a year old and as such fairly small, could be a very risky maneuver that she may not even wake up from. Either way, I'd seriously appreciate some input. The last thing I wanna have to do is bury my little girl =(

thanks guys.

This might work, but I think you have nothing to lose. I have had impactions with my hedgehogs and you might want to try unsweetened canned pumpkin with a little olive oil added. I have pulled a few hedgehogs from the edge with this. Pumpkin works on constipation and diarrhea. try that mixture mixed in with their food. I can't guarantee it will work, but desperate times require desperate measures.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they are truly rocks lodged inside, surgery definitely sounds like the only option.

Weston

james.w said:
If they are truly rocks lodged inside, surgery definitely sounds like the only option.

Yeah, they're legitimate rocks. Some i don't even know how she mana ged to choke down. what are the success rates on a surgery like this? Particularly for gus this young and small? Ive also hardly fed her all week, other than bits of food with the oil on it, only because i fear making the situation worse and bloating her even more. i appreciate the responses though guys.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as the vet knows what they are doing, there shouldn't be any problems. How big is the tegu?

Weston

Shes probably about a foot and a half, from the tip of her snout to the tip of her tail. The worst part about this whole ordeal is i'm leaving town early tomorrow morning for 6 nights, which is really complicating things. I'm willing to do the surgery, but the time frame is making this a very, very difficult decision.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seems pretty small for a yearling, but if you want her to live, you need to do the surgery.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your Tegu. I don't want to tell you what to do because if it doesn't work for you I would feel really bad. I just want to let you know what I did with my Tegus when they were impacted. One ( Leonidas ) ate a big piece of mulch when he was a baby ( it all worked out ). Schatzi ate a rubber cap of a metal door stopper and she was impacted for a month. Then she pooped it out. As soon as I noticed that Schatzi was impacted I gave her some chicken baby food ( for the protein so she would have the strength ) and some fruit/veggie baby food. Sometimes I put some fish oil drops into the baby food for lubrication. I wouldn't feed your Tegu anything solid so she will not get even more impacted. I took her to the Vet and got some Xrays done. I the Vet told me to give her the baby foods and give her baths. I was very scared because she would not poop out the object. Two weeks later I went back to the Vet and got some more Xrays done to see if the object even moved. It did :) . My Vet gave me a date on when to give her the surgery if she hasn't pooped it out ( that would of been another two weeks later ). The day she would of had to get her surgery she pooped out the object. Our Leonidas ate some rocks before, too, and he pooped them out. Is your Tegu eating on her own ( if you would give her some baby food ) or would you have to force feed her ? In case you would have to force feed her and don't know how I'll post a link to my video. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted. I'm sorry for making it so long. Oh, one more thing. How is she acting ? Is she walking around fine and is alert or does she seem very weak ?

Schatzi when she was impacted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBEoZOxVxQI

How to force feed a Tegu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpovPdBYU3c

My Vet gave me some liquid Panalog to put on her Vent. So when she poops out the object her Vent wouldn't tear ( because it's lubricated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mogoifkpQic

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980