• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

impaction?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well today after i fed nero she went over to her usual corner and tried to poo but she was having a bit of trouble she was wiggling her butt ,but nothing came out exept urate and it was kind of hard it made a small thump when it dropped but no actual poo. this is unusual because she always poops every day but for about the last week it was every other day then nothing the last 2-3 days but urrates. she still has a ferocious appetite and is growing good. and shedding well. im at a lost as too this i give her cod liver at least 3x a week @ about 1 tbs. could this be from me using reptocal w/d3 i use it 1-2x a week.the last time she pooped was like tuesday . should i be worried. i am also going to try to soak her in the morning.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
also i forgot to mention she is always fed on a bare floor and i havnt been soaking her regularly like i use too, due to new job schedule. her temps are 105 basking and 89 ambient. the humidity has been staying between 30 and 45% and this is with misting and using a humidifier sometimes,it goes up to 80-90% but never stay there long. since she has her own room to free roam in i have no idea what could cause this i know a few months ago after she had escaped and wound up in the attic she pooped out some hair beads. she has been confined to this room. i hope i didnt drop anything while i was in there or forgot something and she found it.i have been trying to find a good reptile vet thats close enough to me were i dont have to stress my pets out more than needed but so far only ones i have found are far away.btw her stomach is soft and only looks bloated when she stretches out but she is a plump tegu and is very heavy. she is 42" long and about 10 lbs. but she is 6 mo.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
it was always solid up until the hibernation season then it was like a grayish color and kind of soft then it went back normal for a while she has had some runny bowel movments before but not many.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
if shes free roaming in a room with nick nacks who knows what she ate. this could be serious. tegus are not that smart when it comes to eating. tegus have been known to eat rocks, change$, substrate, golf balls and so on..a bath wont do much for this if this is the case.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well there is nothing in the room but some tanks and tubs she dosnt have any subtrate because she was ingesting it when she was smaller and i was finding it in her poop.the room is only used for reptiles and she cant get out. and i sweep the room daily. i just hope she poops soon

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well i think i have found the problem, last week i gave her two whole eggs and the shells didnt digest well . because when i went in there this morning she had finally pooped and it was full of egg shell pieces but the good part is, there is stool although it is soft its not runny or anything . im going to keep an eye on her for the next few days.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
just another update i gave her a warm soak and she pooped again and there were no egg shells in it but she has been dragging her butt on the ground with the base of her tail raised up afterwards for a few seconds does anyone know what this is? and do you think it requires a vet visit?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
you know... my tegus digest egg shells just fine. i wonder if your lights/basking spot is to low. to low of temps effect how well the digestive track performs. what is your basking spot and ambiant temps?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
that is what i was thinking too. i have been struggling to keep the temps high. i can get the basking spot to 105-110f and the ambient temp is usually 85-95f but there have been some days this week were it dropped to 60's when my room heater malfunctioned and it tool 2 days to fix i have to buy another one as a back up. and when i found her her body was cold.thats why i really need to get her a temp. enclosure til i move and can build the big one. but it can only be 2-2 1/2' wide but i could do 6-8'+ as far as length for now when i move i want to do a 10L X 5W X 4H since there will probably 2 in one enclosure.

ChubbyTegu

5 Year Member
Mine hasn't pooped for a week. I just tried giving him an enema today. Only got about 4cc in there, so maybe not enough...? Have soaked him a few times, and fed two thawed mice today injected with fish oil. I hope he poops soon.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well i found that the problem with nero was the humidity. her humidity was too low, and the urates was forming into large hard balls and she couldnt pass them.so after investing in new humidifier and raising the humidity she no longer has those problems.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
reptastic said:
just another update i gave her a warm soak and she pooped again and there were no egg shells in it but she has been dragging her butt on the ground with the base of her tail raised up afterwards for a few seconds does anyone know what this is? and do you think it requires a vet visit?

We were talking about Nero in another thread, whether she was male or female. You said you felt bumps above her cloaca.

Beauregard will do the above (underlined) after he defecates and in the process leaves sperm plugs.

I still say you have a male from what you said in the other post and in describing the above actions.

...Jefroka

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Zero poo's the lifts his tail up and to the right and drags his but on the groung after he poops always has I just thought it was him "cleaning up"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan