• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Impactions and growth

Eric23

Hi all... Sept 2016 I got a baby blue male who slowed down significantly over the winter and didn't really beef up or get that big.. When spring came around he got really motivated to eat but ended up with an impaction from eating Cypress mulch twice which caused him to eat very small meals for a period of a few months. Once he was over all that he got really healthy and started slamming food down and behaving like a tegu. He started growing like crazy and now he's about 32 inches from nose to end of tail and hefty. My question is do you all think that's small for a male that's probably about a year and 3 months old and if so will he continue to grow or stay small ? My second question or comment is the way he got impacted was by eating his feces and urates and ingesting all the cypress mulch attached to it... Is there a reason they do this ? I've read some people say it's because of nutrient deficiencies but we feed a very varied diet of whole pray items, fruit, veggies, turkey, etc..

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi all... Sept 2016 I got a baby blue male who slowed down significantly over the winter and didn't really beef up or get that big.. When spring came around he got really motivated to eat but ended up with an impaction from eating Cypress mulch twice which caused him to eat very small meals for a period of a few months. Once he was over all that he got really healthy and started slamming food down and behaving like a tegu. He started growing like crazy and now he's about 32 inches from nose to end of tail and hefty. My question is do you all think that's small for a male that's probably about a year and 3 months old and if so will he continue to grow or stay small ? My second question or comment is the way he got impacted was by eating his feces and urates and ingesting all the cypress mulch attached to it... Is there a reason they do this ? I've read some people say it's because of nutrient deficiencies but we feed a very varied diet of whole pray items, fruit, veggies, turkey, etc..
Three ft. at a year is within the range of normal regardless of what he would’ve done. Get rid of the cypress. He was eating poop because hecwas hungry or missing nutrients.

beardeddragon111

As someone who kept a stunted tegu that's not what happened. She was about 2' at 11 months when I got her and stayed that way for a while. She had parasites but when cured she somewhat slowly got herself up to 3'6" which may be her adult size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980