• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is he dead?

The captain

5 Year Member
I was told after confirming that the tegu went into hibernation, to quit heating the cage and not worry about humidity.

is this right, because i read that people are still running the lights and maintaining humidity.

The captain

5 Year Member
he has been under since october already, as soon as i got him from bobby.

i want to know if he is dead under there, i havent seen him...

The captain

5 Year Member
its not that i genuinely think that he is dead, its just im a first time owner and am very scared.

the house is set at 68 but my room is warmer, so it is about 70-72 i suppose, i can get the exact read, but its not 50. lol

The captain

5 Year Member
yeah ok, the main thing is that i was already a bit confused, i saw everyone's tegus growing so fast, and he came in like a baby, i mean, he was probably from all the same clutches from whenever they all hatched out. right?

Filphfio

5 Year Member
Camella woke up the other day, she drank alota water then 5 min later started sneezin up bubbles I think shes fine she went back into hide a few hours later. anyone else ever see a tegu sneeze up there water?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When tegus drink, especially after not drinkig for a while, I've noticed they sometimes get a bit carried away. A little bit of water can get in a tegu's airway, and they'll usually just sneeze to clear it out. From the way you're describing it, I'd guess there were bubbles simply because there was a bit of saliva in the sneeze.

Filphfio

5 Year Member
I figured the snot was the cause of the bubbles, just couldnt figure out why she was sneezing, or if these were sympotms of a larger problem.

-She got very carried away!

The captain

5 Year Member
ok,
yeah he was in hibernation already, that was one thing i disagreed with, idk why a tegu expert of all people would wake the baby to ship him across the US.

anyways. odd thing: i found a beetle in his water dish, it was a superworm beetle, but i have not put any in there. either way, i hope he didn't get bit by the bug.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bobby has been at this for a while so I wouldn't question his methods. As far as shipping an animal that's in hibernation(or early stages) - it seems like a great time to ship to me. Would you rather be tossed in a dark bag/box for a couple days while you're sleeping or during your active period?

As far as the beetle, I wouldn't worry about it much. If tegus were that vulnerable during hiberantion they'd probably be extinct by now. I've noticed a lot of small spiders have moved into my tegu's enclosure since we went down. I'm leaving them there as an alarm system - when the webs disappear Boon has been roaming :) .

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
lol, yea, joker came out yesterday. drank water, warmed up, ate a few dubia's then back to bed.

same cage as yours, except he's an extreme.

i keep the light on so he can sun IF he wakes which he does from time to time.

i was worrieing about it for a while, but everytime he wakes he looks fine, not emicated, or scrawny. so i'll just let him do his thing.

The captain

5 Year Member
alright thanks guys.

I was just concerned that he was so small. And then went to hibernate immediately.
i wasn't really worried that he got attacked by the beetle, more wondering what would have happened if he had tried to eat it!

Oddball

5 Year Member
If he ate it he would be fine. We leave our lights on so just in case they wake up they can bask, and for a definite photo-period

The captain

5 Year Member
Wow,
what a great day of Hanukkah woke up to the little guy taking a drink from his bowl. I switched the lamp on and he basked for a few hours.
He went back under later.

Also, lifted up the lid to the dubies and i found my first bunch of baby roaches! haha, i know its no biggie, but it was cool to see.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The captain said:
Also, lifted up the lid to the dubies and i found my first bunch of baby roaches! haha, i know its no biggie, but it was cool to see.
What's really cool is seeing the oothica (egg case) hanging out of the mother.

100_2666_.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, I got to see that once when I fed a gravid roach to one of my spiders.. she dropped it while being munched on :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wayneboy88