• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is Hibernation Necessary?

bobbydesi

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I am a new member to this great forum and I am at the final stages of preparing for my b&w tegu that I am going to get very soon!
Even though i've been scowering over this website and other tegu-related databases I haven't found a clear answer on the necessity of hibernation :?:
I would be very appreciative if someone could tell me if
a) If hibernation is totally necessary for a young tegu?
b) If a tegu misses hibernation, are there any detrimental health effects other than increased growth

Thanks for your help guys :-D [/quote]

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is said they need to hibernate of you want to breed them. Their feeding schedule has to be accelerated if you are going to hibernate them so they have enough stored for the months they'll be down. I'm assuming they will live longer if they hibernate because they won't be eating or moving for half of their life.

I don't think it is necessary. Our Tegu's (ages 3 to 6 years old) didn't hibernate last winter but they would sleep for up to 4 days and be up a day or 2 (reduced hours) and repeat as necessary for 4 or 5 months. I only fed them a couple of times a week during that period, sometimes they would eat sometimes they wouldn't.

So if you don't hibernate but notice decreased activity, decrease the feeding amount and frequency. It can't be good for them to sleep for 3 or 4 days with a full belly.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm going to give it to you straight as possible.

a) No.

b) No.

Conclusive evidence has not been gathered to say there are any bad or good effects to hibernation in tegu's. It is their natural behavior to hibernate/brumate, so you must decide what you as the owner want for your tegu. Even evidence on hibernation and breeding is inconclusive.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
bobbydesi said:
I am not going to breed mine so im going to stick with the reduced feeding thanks for your help.

There is no reason to reduce feeding either. Dave was saying that in the winter non hibernating tegu's seem to slow down and if so then he reduces feeding to match their sleeping cycle. If your tegu is awake year around, feed it normally.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
bobbydesi said:
I am not going to breed mine so im going to stick with the reduced feeding thanks for your help.

There is no reason to reduce feeding either. Dave was saying that in the winter non hibernating tegu's seem to slow down and if so then he reduces feeding to match their sleeping cycle. If your tegu is awake year around, feed it normally.
What he said!! :mrgreen: The first winter he may not slow down at all. Our 1 year old didn't.

pinto24

5 Year Member
This may sound mean, but I am just curious, but is it possible to prevent a Tegu from hibernating? Like if you notice he is going under, can you try to stop him from doing so? I don't plan on doing it, but I was just curious.

Thanks

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
pinto24 said:
This may sound mean, but I am just curious, but is it possible to prevent a Tegu from hibernating? Like if you notice he is going under, can you try to stop him from doing so? I don't plan on doing it, but I was just curious.

Thanks

Yes, it has been done, there are many tegus out there that have not hibernated at all. However, I have never tried or kept any of mine from hibernating.

pinto24

5 Year Member
oh....like I said, I wasn't planning n doing it, I just didn't know if it had been done. It doesn't sound very nice I must say.

luckdragon

5 Year Member
I have a B&W...if they are burrowing themselves and staying down for a while (most of the day) does this mean they are trying to hibernate? How do you know when they are going into hibernation?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam