• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it inhumane to use a band/muzzle

Retnoo

I'd like to take my tegu to interact with more people and animals, but i got him when he was already over half a year old, and to be honest, despite all my handling, he can be bitey, especially when he's not completely full and he's warmed up. He hasn't bitten me since he was under a year old, and i've had him for four years now, but he still has charges at me when he's hungry/smells a freshly thawed rat. it can be pretty scary. He also bit my cat's tail one time because she was moving it. (cat came out fine, no broken bones. she's definitely keeps clear of the tegu now though haha)

My question is, could i use a rubber band (like they do on alligators for example) or some other kind of muzzle to more safely interact with him, and be more at ease when pets are nearby. Unsure if this would be uncomfortable or put a significant amount of stress on him, or if there is another solution. I wouldn't leave it on all the time obviously, just for periods of 30 mins or so when he interacts with other creatures and people.

He is already pretty tame most the time, but idk how to lessen food aggression, and his powerful jaw is something i can't really ignore. I suppose that is what i signed up for when getting a tegu.
Thanks for any help. I love my little guy and just want to be able to show him off more or let him spend time with the cats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canuckz