• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it ok that my tegu don't burrow to sleep?

Zelera

5 Year Member
I have almost had my tegu for a year now and I have always had a hiding spot which she soon turned into her sleeping area and I removed it recently and she just seems to wonder around for a spot to sleep and try's to find any tight hidden area to curl up and sleep in instead of burrowing.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
from what i have observed, its normal for the older to tegus to sleep in a tight place rather than burrow under the substrate.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
my tegu used to sleep under a half-log, he made a little den/burrow. he outgrew his half log (largest half log i could find) and now he just sleeps between a couple large rocks in his enclosure. he doesn't burrow much, he still digs around though.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Once mine reached a certain size they pretty much stopped. After a certain point its really no longer necessary since they don't have to worry about predators or anything like that.

Zelera

5 Year Member
hmm alright thanks guys.I guess I should put her hiding spot back into there so she can sleep comfortable since that's what she is use to.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus burrow to A) regulate temperature and B) feel safe. If he feels safe and is the right temperature while laying openly in his enclosure, he really has no reason to burrow. I don't think there is anything wrong with it...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff