• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it possible???

Jer723

5 Year Member
is it possible to make an argentine X columbian? its just a thought. or if so does anybody have 1 and what kind? thanks,

Jerry

Beazer

5 Year Member
It definitely is possible, they are of the same genus. Though, I have yet to see one.

-Jon DeLong

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From my understanding... two creatures being of the same genus does not automatically mean they can hybridize... This does not suggest B&W and Col cannot cross, only it's not automatic...

Briefly reviewing the wikipedia (debatable source I understand) page for both Genus & species, Genus never mentions cross breeding as a commonality in same Genus species and on the contrary states there are no hard rules that a taxonomist needs to follow in describing a genus. In the page describing species it is also mentioned that there are no hard and fast rules one must follow to describe a species but the most common is that of a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring, and separated from other such groups with which interbreeding does not (normally) happen.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species</a><!-- m -->

Again, I'm not suggesting they cannot cross... I am only suggesting being of the same genus is not enough to draw a conclusion on...

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
Im sure theres a hybrid out in the wilds.. I have got some pictures from a friend in argentina Of tegus and some outstanding looking tupinambis. Someone may have to try.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Even if a Boa and a Python could biologically hybridizeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ their woohoos wouldnÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t line up properly to do soÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ or at least thatÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s what IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ve readÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ I understand these are not from the same genus so arenÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t a perfect exampleÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ but in the same way would a Arg & a Col TeguÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s woohooÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s line up? IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ve never bred Tegus so IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m asking not suggesting an answerÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

I would also be concerned about aggression. A sexually mature female Arg is much larger than a sexually mature male ColÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ and from what IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ve read breeding can get pretty aggressive in both species. Would the smaller species (Col) survive the experience of breeding? Would a big female Arg allow herself to be mounted by a small male (Col)? Would a huge male Arg kill a much smaller female Col if attempting to breed?

After all of the physical concerns are addressed, we then have to wonder if they can biologically cross. I believe there is a strong chance they can, but itÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s unwise to assume such facts based on nothing more than an assumption.

Lastly, it is fairly common that crosses can hybridize, but hybrid offspring are born sterile. So be it if sterile hybrids are possible, we could state that they can hybridize, but nothing this result would be important. If it proves trueÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

Again, IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m not suggesting they can or cannot nor if they can they will be sterileÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m simply pointing out things that must be taken into account and suggesting no creditable evidence has been presented here to support a guess either way.

Forgive me if IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m being overly anal in my responseÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ I breed a specialized color morph of fish and am dating a genetics studentÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ I think about such things far too often and far too deeply :D

Added - PS - IF a gold (Col) and Red (Arg) could hybridizeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ the offspring would look like a combination of the two parents (such as an Orange Tegu) as opposed to some of one and some of the other. Though, naturally, there would be a range that the offspring would fall into. This is because they would truly be mixing two different species into one, as opposed to following concepts of a mutated gene such as in Mendelian inheritance.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Chester is 2yrs old, huge and extremely tame! (more so, than my arg) He is very dark and has a completely black head as well... I've thought that perhaps he could be a cross but all I know is that he came from a small mom & pops kind of pet store in the bay area (california). I adopted him so I don't know what he looked like as a hatchling... What do you all think???

IMG_1082-1.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

throneofjade

5 Year Member
What do you think the temperment would be? Because columbians can be a little more aggressive than argentines. Bipolar???

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
Its alittle hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like hes "smooth scaled" argentine b/w are beaded scales. columbians are smooth scaled. but it could be a hybrid. its cool that hes so tame. I thought about getting a columbian so I could have one that doesnt hibernate, but then said naw, Id rather get a red instead.

skippy

5 Year Member
do you have a close-up of the side of the face? his head definitely looks columbian to me but i am by no means an expert ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980