• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it true that savannah monitors bites and scratches hurt more than a tegus?

thanks for the info! but are bites likely if i handle either one everyday? because im not rlly down to get bitten, especially after i saw that video about the guy who got his finger bitten off by the tegu

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
batmanjosh5000 said:
thanks for the info! but are bites likely if i handle either one everyday? because im not rlly down to get bitten, especially after i saw that video about the guy who got his finger bitten off by the tegu

I posted that video. I would not be surprised if it was really the dog that bit off the guys finger when he broke up the fight between the dog and tegu

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
YOU SHOULD NOT HANDLE YOUR SAVANNAH MONITOR DAILY. Please read the link I posted earlier in this thread to make sure you can properly care for one. Also here's a video on how to properly "tame" a well cared for monitor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJKlTXfOF0
Force handling is not good for the monitor and only stresses them out more. PLEASE RESEARCH. If you had you would likely not be asking about outdoor cages or force handling daily. Check out varanus.net if you have any monitor related questions.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Handling a tegu daily will help calm them down, but shouldn't be done with a new tegu until it has settled in.

Still a great person once told me "When working with reptiles its not if you get bit, it's when." Even my puppy dog of a tegu Bosco will get nippy. I was out on a fire call for two weeks last summer. He didn't get fed that whole time. I can back and went to get his bowl out of the cage and wham! Now here is the difference been a tame tegu and not tame tegu, if he though it was food or was violent he would have shacked his head and tried to bite down again and again, however realizing what he did he left go and backed off. This was 100% my mistake, I left the bowel there cus I was lazy. Even a calm dog may reach its limits.

TegusRawsome80 said:
YOU SHOULD NOT HANDLE YOUR SAVANNAH MONITOR DAILY. Please read the link I posted earlier in this thread to make sure you can properly care for one. Also here's a video on how to properly "tame" a well cared for monitor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJKlTXfOF0
Force handling is not good for the monitor and only stresses them out more. PLEASE RESEARCH. If you had you would likely not be asking about outdoor cages or force handling daily. Check out varanus.net if you have any monitor related questions.

Thanks!, and ya ik not to force handle, when i said handling i meant get him comftorble with my precence leaving him alone the first couple of weeks, slowly puting my hand inside, day by day going a lil closer until hes comfortable for me to pet him, then picking him up. and the problem with the savannah monitor is that so many diff websites and books say so many different things. For instence, i have a book called "savannah monitors" by Mark k Bayless, which says that they require a basking spot of 105 and humidity of 20-50%, unlike online care sheets like savannahmonitor.co or savannahmonitor.org say they require high levels of humidity

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced