• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is it unfertile?

shadowsong

5 Year Member
Does fertile egg have vein at the first time they laid?
IMG-20130907-00366.jpg IMG-20130907-00368.jpg IMG00609-20130906-0939.jpg

It was 6 September and all this 28 eggs looked yellowish when I candling it for the first time. And then they began molding one by one till there's nothing left. Should I give particular food during breeding season to increase egg fertility?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The vein doesn't show the first day. Within a couple of days there will be a red spot where the embryo has settled with a ring around it. By the third to fifth day you will see a network of veins around the top of the egg.

A proper diet fed throughout the year and maintaining a good weight on adults helps with fertility. The knack seems to be keeping the eggs from molding as you experienced. Sorry to hear it did not go well.

shadowsong

5 Year Member
Thanks Laura, do unfertile egg could look like fertile egg? Because few of her eggs looked very good in shape and white. Few days after laying, she was mating again and building nest till now. Is it ok and common?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unfertile eggs usually look a bit collapsed compared to fertile eggs.

They will mate multiple times. Some times the female is quite aggressive toward the male and will not tolerate him around her nest.

shadowsong

5 Year Member
I check her nest this morning and found eggs, but it seems most of it is not fertile. Only 2 look better, is there any chance for the others or I just discard them?

IMG-20131012-00506.jpg IMG-20131012-00504.jpg IMG-20131012-00505.jpg

Last edited:

shadowsong

5 Year Member
12 october. Yesterday (16 october) I candle it and they are all unfertile again. Hope for better luck next year.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, best of wishes for next year. I had a female that laid an entire clutch of 30 something infertile eggs. It was her first mating and my male's first mating. I decided not to breed her again due to age, but the male did go on to breed successfully.