• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is my tegu going into hibernation??

Chris23039

5 Year Member
Hi all little concerned about my tegu, got him/her in may and originally he was eating a little (not as much as I would have thought), goes toilet, shed his/her skin but for a while now hasnt been coming out as much (staying in his borrow) hasn't been out for a few days now?? So just wondering of there could be something wrong or just going into hibernation? If he is what should I do (temps lights and anything else)
Thanks for any ones help

Dana C

Please tell us about your lighting (UVB?), basking area and cool area temperatures, humidity, size of enclosure and how large or old your tegu is.

kellen.watkins

What are your temps? How old is your gu where did you get your gu. It seems a little early for hibernation, if its a baby and you got it in may there's a chance its an import and its cycles are all out of wack. Went thru it a couple years back the tegu barely at or came out all summer and picked up in fall.

Dirtydmc

I've been turning off the big light because its been 85 to 90 degrees out side the past few days. It's been way too hot under the light and dexter has been in his hide on the cool side.

Chris23039

5 Year Member
The UVB bulb Is a zoo med repti sun 10.0 that runs along the whole of the back, humidity stays above 70% although it is a bit lower by the basking spot, basking temp is 105-110 sometimes it goes a little higher on hot days.

The tank is a four foot by two foot and I think my tegu must be about a foot never measured him so that's a rough estimate.

Don't think it's an import cause the reptile shop I got it from said it was CB12?? + cool side temps are 75 85
Thanks

kellen.watkins

It can be an import. most imports are CB problem being and what's sad is they come from leather farms in south America. If you got it in may which basically means its egg was laid February or march at the earliest. There's a post from Bobby on his website about being cautious about buying baby tegus before June. I got one (CB as well) that was an import end of may and sounds a lot like the situation your in. my advice if it is an import he/she knows what they want offer food and water ect.. If your tegu starts picking up an appetite in fall that might be the issue. nothing wrong with that I remember there being a member on the forum who had an import that was awake all winter while everyone elses was asleep.

Dana C

Like Kellen said, it seems early but it is not to early to show signs of hibernation. I think Bobby Hill has written something about some tegus begining to slow down and begin hibernation in late September.
My two have reduced the frequency of when they want to eat and are staying buried a little longer each day. Gordo is awake part of each day but slept a good part of late spring and early summer. I am guessing that he will go down early this years because his bio cycle was disturbed with a change in ownership and new surroundings.

Dana C

I wouldn't worry about doing anything now. Even in midwinter, they will emerge, bask, drink and even snack a little. You can reduce the amount of UVB in October or so but for now, just keep doing what you are doing.

Chris23039

5 Year Member
Worrying again as he still not coming out?? Know he Is still alive cause when I had a look for him the other day I could hear him huffing so I left him again. Not sure what to do, let him be??

Chris23039

5 Year Member
Okay I've got a problem now, I had a look for him today just lifting up his hide a little and saw him lying right in the corner, but on the hide (one of those zoo med wooden ones) I seen mould, don't know what to do now as I don't want to wake him up but I also want to get him away from that area and change the substrate and the hide.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Same thing with me but I took the wooden hide away and gave him a rock.one

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980