• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is my tegu small?

M4A2E4

Hello everyone!
I've been checking out pictures of other people's yearling tegu's and I've noticed that a lot of them are... big.

I first got Taco about... a year ago. Maybe give or take a week He was a little over a month old at that point. In about October he started going into a hibernation limbo where he ate almost nothing. This lasted maybe a month and a half. Then he slept straight through until mid-March.

With that all in mind, does Taco seem like he's a little small for his age?
photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

The photo's were taken with an iPod touch, so the quality is... less than desirable. He was also sniffing my neck intently and I was afraid he was going to try... taking a sample :dodgy:

It's not that easy to see in those pictures, but he also seems to be having a tough time getting rid of his brown color. He's definitely going to be a black nose, but there's very little actual white on his back.

Thank you all for your time.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He seems to be pretty good size for a yearling B&W. What is his total length?

jerobi2k

looks good to me as well, after hibernation then tend to beef up a little too, I wouldnt be surprised if he has a little growth spurt soon and Im comming over to play PAC-MAN! :p

herpgirl2510

My 2010 may even be a it smaller than yours. He hibernated for 8 months. Chevy was very curious about my face one day and he did take a sampling of my face. Your smart to keep him way from your face.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He doesn't look small. He looks pretty close to the same size as Gary and he's 2 years old. They all grow at different rates. I've got a large yearling but he never hibernated/brumated. He just kept eating and eating and eating. He'll get there!

M4A2E4

Ahh, that's re-assuring. I was afraid Taco was undersized/underweight and I wasn't taking good care of him.
I will try to get some reasonably accurate measurements tomorrow (he's sleeping now). I'd say he's somewhere between 2 and 3 feet long though.
And I'm sorry, but the Pac-Man machine has been glitching out real hard the past several years and is now non-usable :p

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He looks healthy in the pictures. He's nice and plump at the base of the tail, he looks like hes filling out well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus