• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is my tegu two hot or something

damo

5 Year Member
he is basking with his eyes shut and a bit of his tounge out he is in a 4x2x2 viv with glass front i have thermometers on the glass (stick on strips) hot end 84 cold 73 and have thermometer on the back wall under the ceramic heater ( basking spot) which is reading low 90s i had one down the cold end but he keeps pulling it of humidity is good 70 - 80 % he has been without uv for about 10 days and has a 60 watt hallogen spot to bask is he ok or do i need to do something quick

dpjm

5 Year Member
Your messages would be easier to understand if you used punctuation.

10 days without UVB is not good. If you don't have a bulb or whatever you should bring him out into the sun for at least a half hour a day. This is very important, I can't stress that enough, your tegu will get sick and die if you don't do this. Also the basking area should be more like 110 F or even slightly higher. This is also very important. You won't be able to measure this with a strip thermometer, you need a thermometer that can measure directly under the heat source.

If I were you, I'd get a good mercury vapor UVB lamp, I would recommend MegaRay, available from reptileuv.com. Aside from giving beneficial UV, it also is a good heat source. If you add this into the basking area, in combination with the ceramic heater, it might raise the temps into a better range.

As far as basking with closed eyes, that how my tegu always basks too. Probably they don't care for bright lights, or they are just more comfortable that way.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Im not exactly sure what your asking, but the temps you mentioned should be good. You need to have UV lighting, it is essential especially while they are growing. You should definitely get UV lighting ASAP to avoid MBD and other serious problems that are very common in tegus when their lighting requirements are not met.

damo

5 Year Member
ok thanx guys i shouldnt worry about his tounge being out then. i have got a mercury vapour bulb but the problem is i havent got the hight in the viv at the moment. he (they) are only in tempary enclosurse at the moment i am starting the permanent one and will use the merc vapour bulb then. i am getting a uvb strip light asap he has been messed about big time he has good diet and plenty of exercise the light is my only problem thanx again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980