• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is this a bad shed?

roastedspleen

my ball python is completely healthy and just went through most of his shed but there is a patch on his head that has stayed along with some of the midsection. and i don't know if this is related but he likes to stay inside his water bowl and just soak there for hours than slither away and dry off. im feeding thawed hoppers which he aceepts easily from my hand. but im stil worried about his unshed parts

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is the humidity in the enclosure and how are you measuring it? I wouldn't get in the habit of hand feeding. It is just asking to get bit.

roastedspleen

oh dammit i leave the forum for a month and now even your using memes for a picture? humidity isfine i have a thermometer/hygrometer to mesure it
ill keep in mind what you said about handfeeding. but he is a python so it shouldn't hurt

oh and while im here may i ask if you know a person or site that sells ackie monitors? as one of the few reliable ones burned down

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it is spending a lot of time in the water bowl, something is off. Temps, humidity, or mites would be some things to look at. Humidity would be the most important for proper shedding.

roastedspleen

nope the temps aint off. im planning on transferring my snake to a tub so it takes up less space in my room also its easier to keep temps and humidity even cuz its hard to do it in a large tank. im probably going to sell it.

no mites either it cage is mite free

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I agree with James. I've had my ball python for 11 years and they're really not a species that soaks much on a routine basis. It's probably trying to get the unshed patches off. Try using some Zilla Shed-Ease or Zoo Med Repti Shedding Aid; I find it really helps. Hand feeding a snake is a REALLY bad idea. It's only a matter of time before you get bitten and trust me, ball python bites hurt. Use tongs.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
What exactly do you consider "fine",what is your humidity and temps,what are you using to measure it? If everything was on spot, believe me this,your snake would have shed complete. The patches and constant soaking is like said one of the above(low humidity,improper temps or mites). You have a pic of the set up?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
About python bites... they do hurt, I have been bit by the local zoos 5ft bp and a few teeth stayed in my arm - had to remove them at the hospital and treat the soon to arrive infection that hurt as much if not more than the bite itself. All in all, the pain is pretty bad.

roastedspleen

okay i get that hand feeding is dangerous but i found out today that my thermometer doesnt work anymore and its not accurate. im going to transfer my snake to a smaller sterilite tub so its easier to maintain temps and humidity.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If keeping humidity is a problem for you just throw some damp sphagnum in a hide when your snake is in shed, this usually solves partial shed issues if they're humidity related.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029