• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this an argentine tegu?

Moral3x

Snapchat-3811363257455055362.jpg
Snapchat-4385953393750479803.jpg
Snapchat-8907402874390997780.jpg

dpjm

5 Year Member
It's for sure either an Argentine black and white tegu or a red tegu. It's not a black or Colombian because it has two loreal scales instead of one. I'm leaning toward Argentine black and white, but maybe someone with more experience with both species as hatchlings/juveniles can help. I know reds get more red than that but they develop that coloration a bit later on in life, that's why I'm not 100% certain.

Moral3x

It's for sure either an Argentine black and white tegu or a red tegu. It's not a black or Colombian because it has two loreal scales instead of one. I'm leaning toward Argentine black and white, but maybe someone with more experience with both species as hatchlings/juveniles can help. I know reds get more red than that but they develop that coloration a bit later on in life, that's why I'm not 100% certain.

Thank you! I appreciate it I'm not too experienced with juveniles either, so I was just curious if some one could be absolutely sure, I've just started researching and I love getting more information!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you! I appreciate it I'm not too experienced with juveniles either, so I was just curious if some one could be absolutely sure, I've just started researching and I love getting more information!
Where did your tegu come from? Maybe, they could help you find the breeder or importer? Regardless, a healthy-looking tegu.

dpjm

5 Year Member
I stole your picture and added red dots to indicate where the loreal scales are. Reds and Argentine black and whites both have two of these but Colombians (blacks) only have one.

Picture4.png

Moral3x

I stole your picture and added red dots to indicate where the loreal scales are. Reds and Argentine black and whites both have two of these but Colombians (blacks) only have one.

View attachment 10923

Thank you for showing me, I was just wondering, because the dorsolateral line isn't as broken up as it should be with S.marianae, at least from what I can see, but I'm not an expert and need to keep researching especially the juveniles because I'm the least familiar with them lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029