• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Issues with my tegu

Gaara

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

It's been almost two year since I got my tegu. When I bought it, I thought it would be tame and it could roam around in the house because many people told me that tegus are one the tamest lizard.

But I'm a bit disappointed because I can't let it go out of it's enclosure, because every time I do that, the tegu is really under stress and it mess on the carpet everywhere in my house.

How could I train it to not mess on the floor ? Otherwise, it's a relatively tame lizard. It never bites but he thrash about when I take it.
And what kind of tegu is it ? Here's a picture of it when it was younger.

Thanks in advance !

Gaara

Attachments

• Rita3.jpg
    514 bytes · Views: 5

Jer723

5 Year Member
i believe thats an argentine black and white, possibly a B+W X RED? as for the making the mess on the floor, idk if it would work with tegus but maybe if you could catch him in the act or put him on a patch of newspaper or something and teach him that that is his bathroom, and it will probably catch on. idk if it will work but it wont hurt to try unless hes a nibbler! ;) by the way, welcome to the forum!

Jerry

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Tegus can be trained to go to the bathroom where you would like, yes. I would start with paper tower or newspaper in the cage and get them used to going on that...then move it to the ground in the house or wherever and get them used to that...then you can actually move it to outside, and eventually you wont need the paper at all, they will just go to the bathroom outdoors. Ive seen it in a few different videos. Mine arent trained like that, but I will tell you the easiest way is to put them in a warm bath a little bit after they eat, and they will start going to the bathroom in the tub everytime if you get them in the habit (thats what I do)...which leaves you with no cleaning your cage very often at all, if ever. Just spot clean every now and then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me