• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just A Little Update On Beauregard

Jefroka

5 Year Member
He's pushing two & a half yrs now. Don't know how long he is, somewhere around the 4' mark. Some of you who have been members of tegu talk for a while likely remember my periodic updates & how fast he was growing.

He actually wound up getting a little picky on me as for his food choices go. For a while he really enjoyed his good ole staple of ground turkey/liver with codfish oil. Only as a juvenile did he care for pinkies/rodents.

As an adult he particularly favored my free range chicken's eggs and began turning his nose up at the staple. I had no choice but to find alternatives.

During hunting season he would gladly take just about anything I harvested. He is very fond of lung & liver whether it be from feral pig, rabbit, venison or squirrel.

For the last six months his staple has switched to cat food & some ground turkey or chicken. He seems to have lost interest in cow liver. As for the cat food goes I try and give him the best I can with low ash.

What I'm proud to announce however is that now he is finally after all these years acquiring a taste for rats. Last three feedings he ate his cat food and a rat at each feeding.

He is starting to add some weight too, which I think he needed.

I'll try and post some pics.

That's all for now, as if that wasn't an ear full! :D

...Jefroka

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice, last update I caught he was only interested in the eggs. It can be a real chore when they start favoring 1 particular food, glad Beauregard has finally started to come around.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Looking good, i know your pain with the feeding, storm hasnt taken to well to rodents but chicken and eggs he will devour, i wonder if he will gain any more length, storm stopped at 46" a few mos. ago and hasnt seemed to grow since

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Time will have to tell that tale but since he's eating like a pig he could very well experience a growth spurt. One thing I've learned about keeping a tegu is to expect surprises! He is still the sweetest personality, and my three dogs & him get along as if they were all dogs. :D

...Jefroka

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
either way its still pretty cool that he looks almost identical to his "nephew"

Jefroka

5 Year Member
He really likes the cat food. I buy it from Whole foods Market. I place a full can on a plate along with a medium sized rat. He will consume the cat food first then the rat.

...Jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Today he ate a little cat food but wolfed down the rat! Pretty awesome to see him eat rats. He ate a pretty large one this time & I believe he may have attempted to eat another but don't want him getting too fat ya know.

He also ate a feather from one of my chickens. He was very interested in its taste. Perhaps I will give him a young chick sometime. He is definitely getting heavier. Perhaps my boy will have a growth spurt!

On a side note we had that Swamp Wars show on for a few minutes last night. An episode about tegus. My wife commented "you mean my Beauregard could be like that? " "No way, not my baby!"

She asked why Beauregard was so tame & the one on TV was so wild & aggressive. I of course mentioned how I put in many hours with him, reassuring him I was not a threat. I reminded her that he could be aggressive under the right circumstances but he has always felt safe with us.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.