• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just Checking ...

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Pine and maple that are sealed with Water based stain and polyurethane aren't toxic to reptiles, right? I've red that pine shavings and that redwood and cedar is.

Tux

5 Year Member
Maple is fine, it's never toxic to reps (common hardwoods in general aren't the only hardwood that is I can think of off hand is black walnut), heck it's used in high end terrariums and furnature. I avoid Pine as it's toxic but properly sealed it should be fine. It's the abietic acid in pine oil that's the issue (similar compounds in ceder), if it's sealed theirs no aromatic property and no contact therefore should be safe. Remember multiple coats though.

BSM

5 Year Member
just in case i would stable down vinyl flooring as if i recall the water proof stuff on the wood break down wood after 2 or 3 years. I don't even water proof just put down vinyl and seal the corners with silcon, and it holds up with 1ft to 3 ft of dirt in the cages.
just to give you another way to due

Bryan

Tux

5 Year Member
With multiple coats this should never be an issue, if you were worried you could always apply a coat again later but theirs really no need. They sure don't break down wood, maybe you mean the poly breaks down when under UV light, in which case yes some are better than others in such instance but the areas covered with dirt would never be exposed anyway. I also hope your vinyl stays cool as vinyl emits VOC gases and will do so at a much higher rate the warmer it gets.

However unless you were going to vinyl the entire pine area (say some was used as sides or a roof the solution wouldn't really hold up.

A Good brand of water based poly should work fine for long term use, it's the cheap stuff that you need to worry about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan