• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

just new to tegus and have questions

lmef16

5 Year Member
i plan on building a 6 by 3 by3
or 6 by 3 by 2

what should my lighting be like in side the enclosure.

does my basking light have to be a uv bulb. (it is uv right)
or can it be a flood light with a floresent uv bulb longways in the middle of the roof of the enclosure.

should i go with the bulb that is heat and uv.

im just not sure exactly how to set it up and what size bulb to get.

lighting is one key to having a healthy tegu and i dont want to experiment with its health.

so just tell me what an ideal setup would be like.

thank you for all the help ahead of time.

Zilch

5 Year Member
It depends on personal preference really, if you decide to use a strip light you'd have to mount it fairly low to make sure he's in range of the usable UVB (About 12 inches max I believe). The upside to all of this is that you can set up a regular ceramic fixture and use whatever kind of bulbs you want for heating, which makes setting the proper temperature really easy (and cheap... halogen flood lights are awesome for heat).

From a practical standpoint though the MVB (Only get a good one, Zoomed Powersun, or a MegaRay) is a lot more attractive because you'd only have to put in one light fixture and the effective distance of the UVB a lot further. The downside is that MVB bulbs don't produce a ton of heat. Some people might have more experience with this, but if you're heating a cage of that size at a 2-3' distance you would most likely have to use a 160W (if you were to go with a MegaRay).

It takes a lot of experimentation really to make sure your temperatures are right, especially since no one's home is exactly identical and temp variances are huge most of the time.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lmef16, have you read this? It will help you. :)
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- l -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan