• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

last bit of shed

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
She is at the point where she is not growing much. She is almost a year and 44" long. Her last shed was over a month ago and the second half of her tail still has the old skin on it and I am concerned that it may begin constricting her tail. She has between 70 and 90 percent humidity plus I soak her in the tub a couple times a week. She has codliver oil in her diet. Is there any trick to getting this stuff off. Thanks for your help.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i got the exact same problem with nero, im cant give her a bath because my basement is flooded and the ho water tank went out lol just my luck, so i been msting her downalot and im going to rub some babyoil on her tail since it works so good for my iguanas, i hope it works, but she is shedding her body just fine but its her tail that seems to be a problem!

themedic

You could gently try peeling off yourself, although my snakes hate it when I aid them in shed, cant say the same thing bout my gu's.

mikecrowder23

5 Year Member
I've got a fog system at the top of her cage that keeps the humidity up there. And I can't even get a finger nail under the skin to try and help but even if i could that 10lb tail would definitely start swinging. I guess I'll try the baby oil because it is mildly evident in the size difference where the skin starts and stops. Thanks.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As you said, she's growing quite slowly now. I think ringing/constriction occurs when the sheds start to overlap while the animal is still rapidly growing. I wouldn't be concerned if it's just one layer of shed that hasn't come completely off yet.

Herplings

5 Year Member
My Tegus tail is always last to shed too.

Sometimes it comes off weeks after the body sheds.

I just soak them every couple of days. It has never been a problem yet.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I think JohnMatthew's advice was good. I have a tegu as big as yours that has the same problem. Recently the tail was in that state for about 4 to 5 months and I kept a watchful eye on it. I just kept soaking him and occasionally put 100% pure aloe vera on it. We keep his humidity at the required levels but I think the recent natural bump in humidity around where I live as the summer weather came really helped. It finally shed last week.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
im thinking the same thing happened here, after 2-3 weeks of daily rain and thunderstorms the humidity has been extra high, nero came out of her "moist box" today and im starting to see the tail is shedding !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214