• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Late introduction!

stellarawesome

5 Year Member
I joined this site.. last year I think?

I'm a 23 year old form Alabama and I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that I can get a tegu this year! I really want a Varnyard B&W Male, since Mr. Hill's website & forum has been immensely helpful to me!

However, I want to have enough money saved up and set aside to construct the final large indoor enclosure for a tegu's adult size before I jump in and buy the baby! Realistically, I'll probably be getting a '12 baby, but I'm on my way.

I've been reading constantly and I really appreciate all the dedicated tegu owners that share!

Thanks!
Ansli

G

Heyy good luck! I just spent 200$ to construct my new enclosure. Plus I had to figure out how to use drills and saws! Which cost some clothing being cut up.but it was worth it. Some people spend much more! You should be fine!

stellarawesome

5 Year Member
Oh that's not too bad. I know my way around a few tools, and luckily my Granddad and Dad really know their way around the shop. My boyfriend -just- got a job at the Home Depot too (hopefully this will be his last non-college-field related job before he graduates!) that maybe he can get a discount on a few items. I don't know how that works.

I need to start pricing things!

My boyfriend also ripped up a shirt when he had a wood-carving project in his sculpture class! He's pretty..unhandy I guess lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You won't need the full size enclosure until the next year. They're only up for a few months after hatching, then the hibernate for the winter. You could use a 30/40 gallon tank until the next spring/summer.

Draco D Tegu

stellarawesome said:
Oh that's not too bad. I know my way around a few tools, and luckily my Granddad and Dad really know their way around the shop. My boyfriend -just- got a job at the Home Depot too (hopefully this will be his last non-college-field related job before he graduates!) that maybe he can get a discount on a few items. I don't know how that works.

I need to start pricing things!

My boyfriend also ripped up a shirt when he had a wood-carving project in his sculpture class! He's pretty..unhandy I guess lol

I am not sure how elaborate you are planning to make your set up, but I just finished mine. Right now my enclosure is 7X3X3 and my guy is about 2ft long. This will only last him for a bit I know but it was much better than a 100 gallon tank. It also buys me time while I renovate my heated outbuilding for my reptile collection.

I had a slight accident with my plexiglass so have to save up for some more (it's expensive) so right now minus what I spent on the plexi (I have the bottom of the door with glass the top with hardware cloth, TEMPORARILY), my total cost for my enclosure was about $250.

Keep in mind I built a double decker enclosure, the top half for my 4ft ig and the bottom for my gu. and I also bought fake plants to "pretty it up".

I used OSB board coated with drylock inside the cage, on top of which I painted with water based paint because I didn't like the overall color of the drylock. My cost included lights. If you shop around you can find some good deals for your stuff. One treasure I found was the "re-stor" stores that habitat for humanity has. You can find lots of used stuff like hinges, light fixtures etc for a fraction of the cost. Many times these things are new in the box.

I wish you luck and look forward to hearing more about your little dude! :-D

stellarawesome

5 Year Member
I have a 20 gal and a 50 gal that I'm going to modify for him initially, my final enclosure, the one I want to build (and the one I'm saving up for) is still in the drafting process. So far its basically going to be 8x4, but once I get everything mapped out it may be larger (its going to be an L shape, 4ft on either side + additional inbetween the two sides- if the L shape doesn't work, then we'll just see.)

I will definatly keep my eyes peeled for the re-stor! I know I should probably arleady figure dry-lock into my plans!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan