• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lazy or sick Tegu

LGrace

My Tegu is 2 years old and is very inactive. He's in a 5×8 enclosure and is fed every other day. He acts like he's depressed! He sleeps constantly and wants to be left alone. There was a short period of time where he was more active but for the most part he just sleeps!! Any advice would be appreciated! I am thinking of rehoming him because he's not happy and I don't know what to do about it!!

LGrace

This is TY!

Attachments

• received_818213278853288.jpeg
    received_818213278853288.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 60

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Does he commonly brumate?

I ask because mine has a timing problem and has chosen to hide for the summer. He otherwise seems very healthy.

ToadHallBetty

He could be overweight, sick, or brumating. If he were mine, I would get him checked out at a good reptile vet.

A Tegu in a nice cage with the proper tempaturs and diet won't be unhappy.
You can check his body condition , temps, type of lighting and diet with the vet while making sure he is healthy.

Even if you don't keep him, you need to make sure he is healthy (unless you don't care what happens to him)

LGrace

He could be overweight, sick, or brumating. If he were mine, I would get him checked out at a good reptile vet.

A Tegu in a nice cage with the proper tempaturs and diet won't be unhappy.
You can check his body condition , temps, type of lighting and diet with the vet while making sure he is healthy.

Even if you don't keep him, you need to make sure he is healthy (unless you don't care what happens to him)
Oh I care very much! I want him to be happy and of course healthy!!

Brandondoven

I've found that tegu's who have insufficient uvb lighting get lazy and sleep all the time. Had that exact problem with my guy. He's a lot more vibrant now. Also a bunch more natural behaviors have been shown since I upped his uv levels. So you might want to concider.

I wish you best of luck.

Ps: some tegus just are lazy at heart

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980