• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lengthy shed?

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
My red tegu has been in shed for about 5 days. I mist daily and I use moist moss in one of his hides everyday and yet he still hasn't started the actual shedding process, just the dark hazy color. Is this normal or does this happen sometimes?? Or any ideas??

COWHER

5 Year Member
try givin it a bath in luke warm water and then see what happens give em a nice little rub down after the bath with a towel to dry off and that may loosen up some shed

playlboi

5 Year Member
sheds are usually pretty lengthy. i mean they grow out of it slowly, so that means the skin it is in should stretch pretty slowly too. i mean if it's taking a few weeks to have it fully shed, then there are issues. but a few days is ok. i can usually tell when my guy is about to shed. its skin will turn kinda ashy white and it'll be like that for a few days until it gets loose. so i say its alright. give it some time. but if it does continue to keep on going, take cowher's advice and give it a bath. all will be well.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is true, and sometimes even longer on the head and tail, they are usually the last to shed.

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
its just that normally it only takes like 3 days and hes on his sixth and still hasn't started shedding, Plus I heard it is a problem with reds sometimes. I just want to know if I should be worried or when I should start worrying?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am sort of confused...are you saying that its colors are dulling and it looks like it is about to shed?

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
he/she is hazy like usual before shed almost like a grey tint around the tail. What Iam concerned about the length of time it is taking for him/her to shed

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think your in any need for alarm. I've noticed my tegu dulling for awhile before shedding too. I like to give baths leading up to a shed. Since tegu's don't shed in one piece, I think the shedding can vary from shed to shed.