• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Less usage?

angelrose

5 Year Member
thank you very much DZLife :-D

I have two male & female args with me for a month now and would like to know if they must hibernate :?:
does the temperature have something to do with them hibernating :?: or
they just do it because that's what args do :?:

(I am asking because I am quite used to my col. Angel and the most she will sleep for is a day)

gebris353

5 Year Member
DZLife said:
gebris353 said:
I travelled to another cities for the past 4 days to visit some steel industrial plants leaders in the world: Ternium and Tenaris. I'm working there next summer when I finish my fourth engineering year! =D

You are studying engineering? That's awesome! I myself am taking an intro to engineering/CAD, and find a lot of the concepts and computer applications used in the processes absolutely fascinating!

That's great! CAD is just amazing, really easy to use and personalize, I started studying CAD 7 years ago. =D

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
thank you very much DZLife :-D

I have two male & female args with me for a month now and would like to know if they must hibernate :?:
does the temperature have something to do with them hibernating :?: or
they just do it because that's what args do :?:

(I am asking because I am quite used to my col. Angel and the most she will sleep for is a day)

I believe that the proper term for tegus is brumate (not hibernate)....I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
Well, they don't have really HAVE to brumate, but it is a good idea to have them brumate...ESPECIALLY if you want them to be able to breed...if this is the case, you should have them brumate every year without fail; many of us in the tegu community are pretty sure that tegus have to hibernate every year, or they will likely have problems breeding.....right now, I can't be bothered to go deep into a detailed explanation, but the point remains.

In response to your question about temps....yes, temperatures directly correlate with hibernation. If it gets gradually colder, assuming you provide proper bedding, they will go into brumation. When the temps begin to come up, especially when it starts getting sunnier out, they come out of brumation.
Now, as for how long a healthy brumation period should be, I recommend asking Bobby (Varnyard.) There are several opinions on this matter, but I believe (for a good dang reason) that Bobby could give you the best advice.

Lastly, I have done my fair share of research, but Bobby has been hands down been doing this for longer than anyone I know. He is a tried-and-true tegu master. I would like to suggest you send him a PM brushing back over the questions you asked...even the ones that I gave answers for.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
o.k. :thyo
I have a better understanding now and you are very easy to talk with. thx again for your time.

No problem! -^^
I'm always glad to help someone out if I can!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu