• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lexie, new argentine b&w

TommyK

Hey Everyone,

First off, this site is awesome! It had been incredibly helpful. I just got my first tegu on Sunday (two days ago as of now). Her name is Lexie. She is 3' long and already quite tame. I have her in a custom built cage made of plywood and plexiglass. It is roughly 6'x3.5' with a 3' ceiling and slanted front. Setting up an appropriate temp gradient actually worked out pretty well. It ranges from ~110 at the basking spot to ~80 on the cool side.

Lexie seemed really curious her first few hours home. After scouting out her new cage for about half an hour, she showed alot of interest in me and my roommate. After a few hours, she burrowed completely (into cypress mulch). She has been there now for over 50 hours straight. I don't want to dig her out, but I did make some noise / movement nearby to make sure she was alright and try to get her to come out so I could feed her. She hissed once and flinched the next day when i was changing her water and what not. I tried leaving a little food in her cage to coax her out, but it was to no avail (does that even work when they are burrowed?). Is this typical of a new tegu to stay burrowed for days? I hope she is not trying to hibernate! I have done everything I could think of to avoid giving her cues to hibernate (cage is warm, plenty of light). It also would seem weird to me if she chose to hibernate in February of all months. Is there any reason to worry about her not eating for a few days?

If anyone has input or a similar experience to share, I'm all ears. I'm probably overanalyzing this, but it's kind of hard not to as curious as I am as to what she is up to. One more question, is it a big deal to keep tegus on a fairly long daylength schedule (e.g. 14 or 15 hours light)? I have a pretty lengthy work day. At very least, I want her to stay up late at night because that's when I'm usually home.

Anyways, enough for now. I'll post some pictures later.

kurvaface123

I dont know if im right but she is probably still adjusting. Just leave her alone and if she dosent come out by the end of tomoroww take her out. Thats what i would do. Also, for the 14-15 hour light schedule, you can but its better for it to be 12 hour. I would suggest buying a timer, I have all my reptiles on them.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I have no experience with Tegu's,but i have been researching and reading on them for the pass three months.

It is normal for them to burrow there first couple of days. She may burrow when your around and then come out when your not to explore her cage. Just leave her be until around Sunday which would make it a week you had her,the adjusting period on mostly all reptiles is about a week to let them just relax and get use to there surroundings.

The noise you heard when you dug her up was more than likely a hiss,she was sleeping and you woke her up so you prob scared her a bit. Its best to sometime wait for them to come out there burrows because you digging in is like an invasion to there safe place.

Ask the person you got her from if she was hibernating before he gave he re homed her with you. Because if she was already hibernating she will just go back down and come back up around spring time. You cannot stop a tegu from hibernating no matter how long you leave the lights on if a tegu has it's mind on hibernation theres no changing it all you could do is follow there league and let them do what they do.

So get in contact with the guy and ask if she was hibernating, just in case you should not feed her until she comes up,When she is hungry she will be out looking for food. If you feed her and she was hibernating then the food could rot in her belly. She will more than likely not take it though if she is hibernating.

The recommended light cycle is 12/12, so i really do not think two extra hours would hurt, but then again it may,because to much light can cause stress and over exposure. How about you get a light timer and set it to come on at 8am then go off at 8pm or 9am-9pm, just set it to the time you think you will be home.

Oh and welcome to the FORUM!

G

Your tegu is doing just what it is supposed to do Hibernating..

Often all the lights and heat in the world will make no difference .

When you buy a tegu this time of year it is irresponsible to think that it will not hibernate..

Digging your tegu out can only be counter productive ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me