• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Light placement w/ enclosures...

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
After browsing several housing posts with enclosure pictures, I've noticed an interesting "bad habit" from tegu keepers. The lighting placement. I do understand that for some people, a fluorescent UVB bulb is the cheapest method at the time, which does work, but the placement is just a little interesting. Tegus love to bask, and the majority of my tegus spend most of their time laying under their heat lamp. Thats the best place to place those UVB tubes. Having a fluorescent tube on the cold side and the heat lamp on the other does not work well for any lizard. My tegus spend 90% of their day sitting under that heat lamp, so why not place your UVB light over there too? Catching my drift? What good is it going to do on the other side of the cage? D0h! :doh

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
i just followed your tutorial on the 8x4 and it worked PERFECTLY, just got it primered today, painting tomorrow, ill have my new adult on tuesday next week. Im going to have a 160w reptisun on his basking spot, and possibly my 100w repti sun on the hot side too without the lightbuld shade thing, and then i figured that will be enough UVB for that side and i was going to put a 4ft flourescent more towards the other side, a little to the other side of the middle. Should be plenty of UVB u think? Ill post a pic in a few days when its all setup, by the way thanks alot for the tutorial couldnt have gone better.

alewis0890

5 Year Member
Another way of acheiving correct uvb with a tube is to get one to span all the way accross the tank or most of the length... that way if he/she gets too hot she can go to the cool side and still catch some rays, she can also get away when she has had enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan