• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

lighting question

4ever2wheels

5 Year Member
Wats up guys/gals?! I'm not too new here just havent posted, been reading and lookin around a lot.

ok so im going to get a tegu soon,i hope. either a b/w or blue. probably a blue. i got a 65 gallon from glasscages.com from the ny expo. screen top with sliding front. ive got my heat and night lights, figured out but im still confused on the uvb.

my tanks got a screen top, the mesh isn't fine at all. do i go with a 10.0 or 5.0? and should i lay it on top of the screen or in the cage? when misting will the water affect the lights, cause them to go out or burn?
would it be a good idea to put the cage somewhere that gets a lot of sun?

thanks for any replies

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
night lights

Night lights are not needed with tegus unless your temps are dropping below 50 all the time.

my tanks got a screen top, the mesh isn't fine at all. do i go with a 10.0 or 5.0?

Usually always go with a 10.0 even if the mesh isn't fine it is going to reducing the output of UVB dramatically. Also with florescents you typically want it with 12 inches of the animal. Read the brochure for proper depth.

and should i lay it on top of the screen or in the cage?

In the cage is a lot better. You will have to decide whats best for you.

when misting will the water affect the lights, cause them to go out or burn?

I've never had this problem, but then again I never get mine wet.

would it be a good idea to put the cage somewhere that gets a lot of sun?

This is pointless in regards to UVB. Since you have a glass enclosure no ambient sunlight coming into your house will be providing more UVB. UVB cannot pass through glass at all.

If you want more light for your animal then by all means put it in a sunny area.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
I am having a hard time understanding your questions. Are you talking about a fluorescent light (tube) or a basking light (screw in kind) to set on the top of the tank? The fluorescent lights need to be about 10-12 inches above reptile for optimum penetration of uvb. If your talking about a basking light it would depend on how tall your tank is and the wattage size of the bulb. On the light boxes most will have a distance on uvb optimum penetration so then you would figure out what size bulb you need for your basking light so its not to hot or not hot enough. I hope i made since..lol..

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
True PUFF, Also be super careful putting glass tanks next to windows and direct sun because even with a screen top it can get (SUPER) HOT AND COOK YOUR LIZARD......

4ever2wheels

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies.
i was talking about the fluorescent bulbs. i think ima goin to go with a 10.0 24' on top of the screen, i'll try to go to home depot for a fixture, the cage is 15 1/2 tall, and lets say ill use 3in for substracte. i think the tegu should be fne that way.

for heat ill use those clamp style lights and try some bubls till i get the right temp.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan