• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

lil Chacoan female eating her first shrimp

Have you ever fed your tegu shrimp?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, I only had a few superworms left, so once I had fed those to her, I began brainstorming a few alternative foods, as I wouldn't be able to get any more supers until tomorrow.
I came up with shrimp. I then recalled how I had read that several other people on here feed their tegus shrimp, crawfish, and even telapia on a regular basis!

Anyway, I decided to give it a try. I put about 3 or 4 in her lil bowl, and I hadn't even gotten my hand out of the cage before she attacked and began gulping down the shrimp!

I don't think that she can tell the difference between live and dead food...at least not yet!

She kept on picking them up and trying to "kill them" before swallowing them, but she couldn't keep a grip on them apparently, so she ended up playing "fetch" with herself; she would throw each shrimp around the cage a few times before she actually ate it.

I ended up giving her another few, and that's where the second video came from.

edit: oops, originally, the first link linked to a different video...I fixed that. the vid was intended for another thread :p
fixed now!
clip 1
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3P__YeVO4">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3P__YeVO4</a><!-- m -->

clip 2
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvc4Rispgg">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvc4Rispgg</a><!-- m -->

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
awesome! were they cooked or raw shrimp? cute tegu!!

They were semi- cooked; I have a big bag of frozen ones, but when I defrosted them, they got just a lil overdone. I guess you could say they were uncooked.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Aww she is such a sweathear. There's no way Coco will let me do that yet. lol, but she is getting close. lol. She sure is looking better, and you doing a great job

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lizardboy101 said:
Aww she is such a sweathear. There's no way Coco will let me do that yet. lol, but she is getting close. lol. She sure is looking better, and you doing a great job

Thanks. It really does mean a lot to me when people give me compliments on the progress I have made with her. It's been really taxing. cash, debt, ehck. I hate being in debt.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
aww crap....one of those links is incorrect...there were TWO shrimp eating pics. the nose cleaning was supposed to be for another thread...dangit!!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cool videos Brooks, but I really don't think you are going to want to get rid of her, looks like you are already getting attached to her. :)

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Cool videos Brooks, but I really don't think you are going to want to get rid of her, looks like you are already getting attached to her. :)

If I can get the money together in time, maybe I will, but as of now, I'm already in debt, and I don't think I can afford two tegu enclosures...I guess I could keep them together for a little while...I don't know how bad the size difference would be, though...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
VARNYARD said:

If I can get the money together in time, maybe I will, but as of now, I'm already in debt, and I don't think I can afford two tegu enclosures...I guess I could keep them together for a little while...I don't know how bad the size difference would be, though...

Well you sure are doing a great job with her, she looks 110% better than when you got her!! :)

ZEKE

5 Year Member
she is awesome!! i just saw the first video (i saw the one of you cleaning the stuff off her nose las time i posted). lol she did a good job "killing" those shrimp. when did you get her?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A few weeks ago.....she was near death....REALLY thin, missing tons of toe-tips and nails, retained sheds, calcium deficiency, etc...she really is doing a lot better now!

ZEKE

5 Year Member
where did you get her? Bobby is the only person who breeds Chacoans but i dont think he would ship one out that was in that kind of condition. did you get her from someone who bought her and wasnt taking care of her?

she looks great!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
where did you get her? Bobby is the only person who breeds Chacoans but i dont think he would ship one out that was in that kind of condition. did you get her from someone who bought her and wasnt taking care of her?

she looks great!

That's exactly what happened. The owner got too many reptiles, got overwhelmed, and on top of it all, I believe he lost all electricity in his house for a few weeks.

Bobby has already stated that he will not be selling to this person again. That, and I don't believe he even knew enough about them to know that anything was wrong.

CoexistExotics

5 Year Member
Were the shrimps shelled or unshelled? Do you think the shells would be bad for their digestive tract? I am thinking of trying this with my little guy :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me