• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Loreal Scale Comparison pics

mistah_kurtz

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I just bought one of Bobby's Argentines after deliberating over whether or not to buy a tegu from the local pet store. The store advertised their animal as a "Black & White Tegu (Tupinambis Merianae)." HOWEVER, after a little research I discovered that it was actually a Columbian B&W Tegu. Though I told them that they had mis-labeled their animal and explained that there was an appreciable difference between Merianae and Teguixin, I doubt that they'll even bother to correct the mistake. Which brings me to the reason for this post: I found it difficult to actually find some clear-cut comparisons of loreal scales of tegus when searching the internet, so I took some of my own. Hopefully these can aid some other aspiring tegu owners who find themselves in the position that I was in. Here ya go:

Top Photo: Columbian Black and White Tegu (Tupinambis Teguixin). Note the SINGLE (loreal) scale between the scale surrounding his nostril and those surrounding his eye.
2926652027_414abcccba.jpg

Bottom Photo: Argentine Black and White Tegu (Tupinambis Merianae). Note the TWO scales between nostril and eye.
2927507932_da0e947a13.jpg

Hope this helps.

- drew

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is most often true, but I have had Argentines with one loreal scale, here are some pictures of one of my Argentines that only had one loreal scale on both sides:

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2018.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Some more detail from the "other" Tegu site.

http://thetegu.com/contentid-10.html

That was taken from the late Bert Langerwerf's site.

Also it says:
The Argentine Black & White tegu is also called the giant tegu, as it is the largest tegu in the world.

This is not true and it is a fact that the reds get much larger then the Argentine normal black and whites. You really got to watch the info found on some of the other sites, much of the info is based on false made up facts.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
it is a fact that the reds get much larger then the Argentine normal black and whites. You really got to watch the info found on some of the other sites
I missed that! Our Red certainly is a big boy!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me