• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Low Appetite? What does this mean?

Azaleah

5 Year Member
So on February 28 (about a month ago) at the Hamburg Reptile Show I picked up a BEAUTIFUL red tegu. She was born last summer and went through brumation, so she is only at about the 2 foot mark tops. I have been feeding her daily on ground turkey, chicken liver, and frozen/thawed hoppers as a staple, and I have noticed that she won't even TOUCH her food most days. It seems she will only eat every 3 or so days. Her temperatures in her cage are good, I keep her moist, she has a UVB light, and she looks to be at a good weight, but I cannot figure out why her appetite is so low. My 8 year old blue will eat every other day but this yearling won't even eat every day. I am getting worried that this is going to cause some kind of dwarfing. Any suggestions, anyone?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
No dwarfing will occur from a slowed diet. I have experienced food consumption being greater when growth spurts are in progress. When the spurts are over food will be less. At the same time though my tegus have eaten everyday just in smaller amounts when not in growth spurts. I would also keep the hoppers down to just a couple a week, maybe one on monday and one on thursday. With rodents i alternate feeding like this. 2 rodents one week, The next week 1 rodent, Then back to 2, then 1 and so on. Thats 6 rodents a month and i feel thats plenty for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980