• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Major Bite

Dstrait

5 Year Member
Just got a major bite feeding Blizzard, 5yr Female B&W. Thawed frozen rat, held in 12" tongs. Outside in back yard. She targeted my hand instead of the rat. Had to pry her mouth open. Several cuts and punctures. I didn't need stitches. Got antibiotics. She didn't seem to get hurt in the scuffle. My theory is that she smells the rat and bites the first thing she sees moving. She is much more chill with eggs, fish, chicken and fruit. She may chose not to eat them. She has never refused to eat a rat and feeding her pre-killed rats is always sketchy.
So my theory is that rodents can quickly run away, so when she gets their scent, her instinct puts her in "tegu gun mode, safety off" - ready to attack the first visual cue at max speed. Not moseying up, giving it a few licks and then biting. I'd like to generalize this theory to everyone's tegu but I don't know if some people have tegus that don't bite hands when they smell a rodent.

7/23/2021 Update: Used a temporary partition to confine Blizzard to about 50 ft2 area without any hiding places while feeding. (She normally has the whole backyard + a heated tegu hut. ) I put her in and got the thawed rat. Walked up to the area, remaining outside the 40" high fence. Then I tossed thawed rat directly out of Ziploc bag near her. She slowly reacted, licking and moseying over to eat the rat. Very pleased with this safe procedure. This further confirms my Rat Smell + Motion = Insane Tegu theory. She didn't smell the rat until after it was motionless on the ground. This procedure avoids entering her area without necessarily knowing where she is while carrying a rat that she might smell. And holding a rat with a tongs trying to get her to target the rat instead of the tongs or my hand.

7/29/2021 My hand is 98% healed.
(moved post from Blue Tegu)

7/30/2021 Update Used the temporary partition again to feed her another thawed rat. Blizzard did not get excited and I was not where she could bite me.

8/21/2021 Update I think she is starting to anticipate getting her rat. I feed her a large frozen thawed rat on Saturdays. I moved the partition to create the temporary feeding pen. When I went to get her, she walked up to me with her head up, which she doesn't normally do. I told her not to bit me and she stopped walking. Picked her up, she was more squirmy that usual. She was watching me dump the rat in her pen and ran for it. So the "Rat smell + Moving object = insane tegu" is now in question. I'm afraid that she's learning and we will have to be careful getting her into her feeding pen.

Last edited:

Sean32817

Rex chomped down on my wrist earlier today when I captured him after he had gotten outside and been awol for 24 hours - I was surprised by the force of the bite as he didn't cause much in the way of cuts, but it felt like he had bitten me hard enough that had he gotten a finger he could have broken it.

Allie22

I feed thawed Rats, chicks, and quail to my tegu as well as other foods he has never lunged at me. He loves being hand fed berries with no tongs and knows the difference between my hand and the food. What I will say is anytime you take a lizard outside everything looks a bit different to them because of the uv from the sun. The most docile lizard could potential bite you when outdoors just something to consider when outside with them.

Dstrait

5 Year Member
Rex chomped down on my wrist earlier today when I captured him after he had gotten outside and been awol for 24 hours - I was surprised by the force of the bite as he didn't cause much in the way of cuts, but it felt like he had bitten me hard enough that had he gotten a finger he could have broken it.
Blizzard got by wrist / forearm once. There were punctures and some bruising. That was years ago when she when through a biting phase. Now she only tries to bite when I am feeding her rats.
I had a lot of fun on FaceBook replying to worried people about my arm turning black & etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan