• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Many questions RE: Care, prep, and selection

Cccp94

Hi all,

I have been looking at getting a tegu for the better part of a year now, and am now at a point where I am able to dedicate the time and resources required. That being said, I still have many many questions.

For example, regarding the enclosure, is an 8x4x4 glass terrarium with a screen hinged top adequate? Does it need more ventilation routes? Is mesh a better wall material? Anything specific to use for the base. Does anyone have a pre-designed how-to/blueprint? I am planning on building the enclosure myself, and maintaining the humidity and temperature for a few weeks to ensure that it won't be a problem before investing in the actual tegu.

In relation to the enclosure, what is the best recommended substrate? I have seen many conflicting reports, and would prefer multiple opinions if possible.

Regarding the tegu itself, what are the primary differences between Chacoan and Argentine tegus? Most of what I have seen online is that the Argentine black and whites, or the Argentine blues are my ideals, but I can't find much in the ways of contrasts and comparisons between the b&ws and the blues, or between Argentine and Chacoan overall. Obviously I am striving for something docile and intelligent. I don't have a real preference regarding size.

Continuing on with the tegu, I need somewhere to get one. I live in Calgary, AB, Canada, and I have zero interest in buying from a pet store. If anyone knows a reputable breeder in the area, I would like to do that, but I am not averse to ordering from a website if someone can recommend a good, reliable site.

I have many other questions, but I'll leave these ones for now, and hopefully somebody can help me out a bit. If possible, any recommended reading material suggestions are greatly appreciated as well, or a more detailed in-depth version of the "Care Sheets" provided by Teguterra if someone has one available.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to finally getting my tegu if they are indeed right for me.

Justin

5 Year Member
For the enclosure I would recommend plywood painted with a sealer if you want to use tempered glass for the front that would be fine. Do Not use a screen top! You need to be able to maintain proper temperatures and humidity. For substrate I think regular dirt would be fine if free from pesticides and fertilizers. If you buy it I like sphagnum moss.

Justin

5 Year Member
You can use a mix ideally it should be able to hold a burrow. For sealing the wood I used Drylock Extreme which is a masonry waterproofer, just give it a few days to gas off before putting your tegu in.

Cccp94

So it turns out drylock extreme is possibly not attainable near where I live. Is the added UV protection necessary? I found an equivalent that is basically identical except for the UV

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.