• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maternal Incubation

Misfitcreatures

So I've been sort of curious if anyone has attempted or heard of anyone attempting to let their female Argentine take care of her nest. From what I've read they're very good mothers, and will even burmate with the babies.
My main concern is if she'll feed while guarding her nest or refuse up until it's time to burmate. Is it not worth it due to health risks? I think removal of the nest or not she'll still be in that sort of mindset that she needs to protect her young until it's time to burmate, and she's back to normal. I can't help but feel bad taking babies away from the mom, maybe a dummy nest to let her sort of feel like she still has them?
I understand she'll need tons and tons of water as they frequently regurgitate it on the nest to keep it moist. Could she easily dehydrate from this behavior?
I'm fascinated by the tegu's maternal instincts to protect and care for their young and would love to hear if someone has had the experience in letting the mama tegu do her thing!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029