• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Maybe, Maybe Not

tresh

Gah...my gal just keeps putting me through the wringer! She's got a vet appt in a few days, so I'll know for certain, but all signs still point to yes, she's gravid. She's too small to be making babies! She's a varnyard, born june 2011. The folks at the pet store who have raised tegus told us she wasn't pregnant, but she's continued to gain weight...so...we'll be taking her to the vet to find out once and for all.

Pictures I took of her today while she got her warm bath in the tub:

[attachment=6220]
[attachment=6221]
[attachment=6222]

Attachments

• 2013-01-24 22.48.58.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 34
  • 2013-01-24 22.49.13.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2013-01-24 22.49.28.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 19

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
"She's too small to be making babies." Maybe you should have thought of that before putting her with a male. If she's gravid, she's not too small in my opinion but I still think you're incredibly unprepared and should have housed them in separate cages.

tresh

What happened was an accident, pure and simple. Somehow a door got opened that was not supposed to be, and he managed to get into the room that is hers one time. Literally a single time. He hasn't been anywhere near her since that time, they're kept completely seperate from each other at this point.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
In the wild do the males and females have seperate rooms? Just saying... anyway... however this goes down I hope everything turns out ok. My bearded dragon who has never been with a male ever scared the crap out of us and we thought she was going to die...long story short, she ended up laying eggs. She's fine and healthy now. So hopefully whether with eggs or some type of impaction or whatever is going on your baby comes through it well. A vet is a good idea. That way you can take whatever action is truly necessary. Good luck and keep us posted :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know...somtimes things just don't go perfectly the way we want. It happens to all of us. How long has it been now?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
BatGirl1 said:
In the wild do the males and females have seperate rooms? Just saying... anyway... however this goes down I hope everything turns out ok. My bearded dragon who has never been with a male ever scared the crap out of us and we thought she was going to die...long story short, she ended up laying eggs. She's fine and healthy now. So hopefully whether with eggs or some type of impaction or whatever is going on your baby comes through it well. A vet is a good idea. That way you can take whatever action is truly necessary. Good luck and keep us posted :)

In the wild tegus don't eat ground turkey, they don't get rubbed with oil, Vaseline, shed ease, etc to help with stuck sheds, nobody is dusting their crickets with calcium. It doesn't really matter what happens in the wild once they are taken out of it.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, but i just thought it senseless to jump on someone about a possible accidental pregnancy based on only the assumption that they were housed together or that the owner did something wrong. As laura said, everyone makes mistakes and in the wild there are many things that happen that are much worse and so my point was that if it was pregnant it is a natural thing... I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone ... just kind of annoyed that sometimes it seems others automatically seem to judge others methods or capacity to care for their animals because of a single post. Again...no disrespect to anyone. <3

tresh

Well, the verdict is in. As far as the vet, and ultrasound, could tell, if she was pregnant, she's in the process of reabsorbing. There was some follicle growth, but no actual normal sized eggs in there. So, she's not pregnant. She's just fat. :)

Bullet dodged, lesson learned, and yet again my tegus make me crazy.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yaaay! I'm just glad it wasn't anything serious. My daughter's friend just lost a bearded dragon to what the vet said was liver problems... not sure of all the details but how sad. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980