• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mean TEGU

taterbug

5 Year Member
:twisted: My Tegu has gotton meaner by the day instead of tamer he will now run at the glass and steady try to bite you the whole time you stand there what is wrong with this retard tried the old shirt trick in his enclosure no help any thing else to try???You can get him out of his enclosure and it still doesnt matter he still bites the crap out me HA HA...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am going to start with maybe his hungery. Tegus that charge the glass mouth open tend to be hungery. You might think his full but until he refuses food there is still a chance that he thinks your bringing food. The fact that this behavior contiues once his out of the enclouser could singnal to somthing else. Try feeding him a full and overload meal and try standing by the enclosure. If the behavior is still shown then i'd refer to Bobby's tegu taming guide on the home page.

Some info might help though is age and basic cage set up.

isdrake

5 Year Member
don't call your reptile retard just because it isn't tame. You should always be prepared that lizards have different personalities and that they not always turn out to be what you hoped for.

Are you feeding him outside the enclosure? How does the enclosure look like?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it is a columbian then that would explain it. I know a few calm columbians and it does happen but its not as easy as an Arg. As for feeding inside the enclosure or out, i have done both and have seen the same result. My adult tegu is very calm he only gets jumpy when he can smell or see his food bowl. My young tegu is fed outside of the cage and still is nippy when she knows its feeding time. I do find that when i switch from live (things like inscets) that move to prekilled (turkey, eggs, f/t mice and rats) they tend to calm down more. I think its more linked to the feed response and less to where you feed them. Unless you feed by hand then a link between your hand and food could be made but again if you feed things that dont fight or stuggle they seem to be less "agressive" in their feed response.

As for this tegu... sorry to put my opinion there. I think more information is needed to help out more. Age, Type, Housing, Feeding regiem, Lighting (this actully really does make a huge differance).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980