• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mice Questions ?

mguy

5 Year Member
I feed my tegu 4 pre killed fuzzies a week they are easily his favorite meals. Why do tegus like mice so much? Today my little brother feed him one and it may have been still thawing out should I worry about anything? He ate the mouse like he does normally.

Adam87

5 Year Member
i guess as long as it doesnt look like hes choking or under any stress because of it, i mean while hes basking it will thaw out and digest so i wouldnt worry

tora

It's not good to feed them something that's still partially frozen on the inside because they are cold blooded, and it can lower their core temp too much. If nothing has happened by now then he's probably fine.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mguy said:
Why do tegus like mice so much?

Have you tried to feed them other whole prey? I fed mine a small garter snake and he LOVED it. He has also caught an anole or two on the deck and he was very eager to gobble it down. I commonly toss him 2"~4" Cichlids live/whole and he goes crazy chasing them, attacking them and feasting on them. I've recently added frozen/thawed chicks to his diet and again, he eager gobbles them up.

All in all, I do not find mice to be a favorite, but I do find whole prey to be preferred to prepared foods.

This may be a misconception though. The 'attack' whole prey, as their instinct tells them they have to in order to eat it. But prepared food seems more like something they would stumble across scavenging. Scavenged food does not need to be attacked, it needs to be claimed, dominated, owned and taken at a nice pace.

As for the partially frozen foods... I agree with the above. It's definitely not good for them and should be strongly avoided. If you did/do accidentally feed them something not fully thawed, simply ensure they have access to heat. If they act funny beyond initial digestion, seek professional help...

mguy

5 Year Member
No mice is the only whole prey he gets I can get chicks but the petstore wont kill them for me as i only feed pre killed

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just kill the chicks yourself thats what i do when i feed them out. I also freeze mine just incase there is internparisites, it gets ride of some of the them that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu