• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mice vs. Rats

Kingjaffejo

5 Year Member
Just wanted some of you guys opinion. I was scanning youtube, looking at tegu feeding videos, and i noticed something. Some people feed their adult tegus, mice, and others feed rats. My question is what is better, 4 or 5 mice or one medium rat? I would guess some would say a rat, but i want to know what are some of your opinons and experiences?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For me it the Gu is big enough and takes rats,...I'd go with the rat. Depending on where you live and or where you get your feeders from, five mice may cost more or less than a rat. I buy bulk from rodent pro now so it doesn't matter. But before I would spend way more money going to the stores around here to buy f/t feeders. 3 different sized mice (pre packaged) for the price of one rat. With the mice, Dino was still hungry so I always had to prepare extra food. Be it something else and or thaw more mice. Which obviously adds up, 1 or 2 rats and he's good. He's so big now I have no clue how many mice it would take to fill him up or at least until he's satisfied.

Which reminds me for my next order, he takes chicks a baby quail like pop rocks and tic tacs. I need to move up a size on those.

herper9

5 Year Member
From some of the snake forums I'm on it seems that the common consensus is that rats seems to hold a better nutritional value than mice do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan