• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Moving next week, should I wake up hibernating tegu?

Talon1992

5 Year Member
So I'm moving in a week, and my tegu has been hibernating since early December. I'm in Southern California, so the average daily temperature right now is between the mid 60s in the high 70s depending on the day. He was about 11 inches when I got him, very happy and healthy, but went right into hibernation about a day later. His cage is rather large and heavy, and I don't see any feasible way of transporting it to my new place without disturbing him. At the very least I would have to remove A very sizable amount of the substrate, even still I don't like the idea of moving around a cage with a hibernating tegu. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to disturb his natural cycle, but I'm not exactly sure what to do in this situation. Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No harm in digging him up. Put him in a cloth bag. Set up the enclosure again and release him into it.

Talon1992

5 Year Member
Perfect! Thank you for the advice. I'm building him his adult enclosure right now anyway so that should give me a bit more time. Thanks again!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Perfect! Thank you for the advice. I'm building him his adult enclosure right now anyway so that should give me a bit more time. Thanks again!
You're very welcome. Best of luck with the move.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me