• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

mulch wall??

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
my month old red tegu went in his hide and cloged the front of it with mulch. does this mean he/she is goin to hibernate?? i keep the daylight light on for like 13 hours a day and the temp up to avoid this. He is captive bred i was told this wouldnt happen. How do I know if he is or is not hibernating?

redtail2426

5 Year Member
If he is going to hibernate he will not come back out for a long time. If he comes out then he is not hibernating.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
techhousejunkie said:
He is captive bred i was told this wouldnt happen.

This statement confuses me. What wouldn't happen? The pet store said he wouldn't make a more secure hide? They said he wouldn't hibernate? They won't change their environment to become more comfortable with their surroundings?

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
no the breeder said it wouldnt hibernate. and what I want to know is if this is what he is doing I mean it normal for them to do this if not hibernating?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Yes. Apollo does it all the time. I'm assuming your using a hide with a large opening, or half a hollowed log. These creatures are very smart and will create a more secure hide for emotional reasons, or to create a humid hide. Your tegu will hibernate or it will not, being captive bred makes absolutely no difference in this, but if you want it to bump uglies and have some ninos later on in life, I would let him hibernate. What I did waswatch and see if he goes in his hide for about 3 days, cut his lights and heat, if he comes out looking for food, turn it all back on. Apollo played that game for about 3 weeks. Then he finally went under and stayed under. Many people theorize that if they don't hibernate they won't breed. Bobby I think believes that, as do I. I try to make it as naturalistic as possible. You can force him not to hibernate, but I don't force anything. It's all up to you and the tegu.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wish ours would decide if they're going to hibernate or not. This up a day or two and down a few days is killing me!!

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
thank you for your info aprilia hes actually been coming out of his hide but he dug a hole at the corner of the tank under the hide which is now also confusing me lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029