• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My b & w tegu starting nipping

Dawn Gaffney

Hi all, my black and white Tegu, has started nipping various parts of me, LOL. I let him out he sniffs around, like always but the other day he tried to take a chunk off of my ear. I thought perhaps I had moved my hair and got the food sent on my ear, but a couple days later he nipped at my hand. I put them back in his cage showed him his food, And he proceeded to eat some of it. He’s been eating very well every day, And drinking water regularly. He lets me pet him hold him, and I know it’s definitely not out of any kind of aggression, so could he just possibly be bored with the food I’m feeding him?He does not get live food, he basically eats chicken and what other meats I offer him.Is this a common issue with young Tagus? Please help...

Lochlan

Well young tegus go through a "grouchy" stage for a lack of a better term, just think of it like a teenager he should grow out of it.

Dawn Gaffney

Well young tegus go through a "grouchy" stage for a lack of a better term, just think of it like a teenager he should grow out of it.
Thanx, lol... like I said, it doesn’t seem aggressive, more hmmmmmm, wonder what that tastes like, or he just wants to hunt something to prove his manhood

Dawn Gaffney

how big his your tegu?

how much do you feed and how often?
He’s grown quite a bit, he’s about 6-7 months. I got him as a hatchling. He eats chicken, mixed w/ quail egg, everyday and I feed him as much as he’ll eat. There’s always food for him, and he does eat most of it. I throw out any leftovers when he goes to sleep. I’ve offered him a variety of foods, but he shuns anything else. I really don’t want to feed him live food

Dawn Gaffney

EC0270D7-A528-4730-A24B-9BE58D1AF655.jpeg
He’s grown quite a bit, he’s about 6-7 months. I got him as a hatchling. He eats chicken, mixed w/ quail egg, everyday and I feed him as much as he’ll eat. There’s always food for him, and he does eat most of it. I throw out any leftovers when he goes to sleep. I’ve offered him a variety of foods, but he shuns anything else. I really don’t want to feed him live food

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like it could just be testing boundaries and seeing what he can get away with stay strong tell him off and I'm sure he'll grow out of it

Dawn Gaffney

Sounds like it could just be testing boundaries and seeing what he can get away with stay strong tell him off and I'm sure he'll grow out of it
Lol, thanx, I’m sure he will. I did tell him off, put him back in his cage, and he pined for a bit, but I think he knew he was being bad. He’s over it, and I’ll see if he attacks any body part when I let him out ,to hang w/ me today. Hope he learned his lesson, but he knows I adore him, no matter what

Mamasaurus

I always recommend reptilinks. You can feed whole prey without feeding live as well but the links enable me to sneak in all the things he needs and won't eat like veggies as well as all the bones and innards that they need with less mess and way less worry of impaction because it's ground. My boy LOVES them and so do I! He gets frog, iguana, quail, chicken, guinea fowl, quail eggs, rabbit, organic raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, collard greens, endive, and dandelion greens. All in his links (iguana is separate). I still offer fresh fruits and lightly dust his links. It decreases the need of supplement a bit getting the whole prey and he would NOT eat veggies otherwise. He's always full and happy because he likes the food. Was never into bugs but he will tear up his hornworm snacks lol

Mamasaurus

He doesn't bite or be a crab but he still death rolls and runs all over when I want to hold him. I've had him 10 months, he was wild caught and already nearly a year when I got him. How's your temps and humidity in there? Could he be too warm and cranky when he's out? Also, this time of year does he have deep, famp substrate to burrow and a hide to disappear into? He could be wanting to brumate and be left alone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980