• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my baby

RobK.

meroni2012oct.jpg

roni2012oct8.jpg

RobK.

frost said:
that's a pretty big baby.

every time i look at him he looks bigger . he is two now . and i can't believe he's grown 33" in 19 months that i have had him. he slowed down on length 46'' :) and is gaining in girth . I had no idea he would grow so fast . two years & two cages . I just hope his new 4x4x10' is big enough . i am letting him roam the house more and more . I was at Lowe's looking a supplies to build his new outdoor cage . thinking about a raised deck with a large powder coated dog kennel on top . 6 x 12' and add a roof ?? I want it off the ground , as our evenings get cool even in the summer . Look at how much Buzz's Rock iguana has grown . you just never know .

RobK.

does anyone remember me posting this in June 2011 ?

rhinocage.jpg

Sept 2011

roni14monthsjpg.jpg

Dec 2011

Rhominov2011.jpg

Jan 2012

ronijan2012.jpg

june 2012

ronijune2012a.jpg

and now
roni2012oc.jpg

from Dec 2011 until now , he's been growing like CRAZY . When he was sick he did not grow for two months and was 27'' at that time . Since he's recovered he made up for lost time, that's for sure

he laying under 48'' 10.0 and 5000k tubes and when he's lined up he's almost as long , 2'' shorter he's 46'' . I made sure he's got extra calcium :)

roni46inches2012.jpg

frost

1,000+ Post Club
would they be ok with a arboreal cage while they are babies or should i put them in something like a tegu cage?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome rhino Rob.

@ frost - an arboreal cage would work for them as babies. Mine always jumped up onto his flourescent light fixture. They love to climb and be up high.

RobK.

dragonmetalhead said:
I think we should start calling you the Iguana Whisperer.

Thanks but sure don't deserve that !! LOL

it been a lot of trial and error on my part , still not sure why he got sick . But when i removed his old cage i noticed the grout had cracked , and his pee had collected under some of it . i was real bad and smelled very strong , that was the area he slept every night . so ?? Both times he got sick it was winter and he was stuck in that cage , when i removed the glass and added screen he recovered . I THINK ?? that was the problem , it smelled like ammonia . not good ,

Fingers crossed !! he has not had a problem since i took him out of that cage , and in to his new one . I blew it on his old cage and used the wrong stuff under the tile and it was not sealed , The new cage is done right and kept spotless 24/7 . I read up on doing tile this time . I feel bad that it may have been my fault he got sick .

frost said:
would they be ok with a arboreal cage while they are babies or should i put them in something like a tegu cage?

I agree with James .

Mine loves to climb but i don't think mine has the skills of a green iguana , I worry about mine falling , with tile that could be bad , so i only went 4' tall with his cage and he is only around 3.5 off the floor at the highest . he can't climb the side ether . his outdoor cage will be 6'' tall , for me not him . I will have large logs all through it . BUT i will have something on the screen sides so he can't climb to the top . I worry about him falling and getting hurt . BUT I worry too much though and struggle with OCD .

RobK. said:
love this photo

roniandme.jpg

I am so amazed at how gentle these guys can be . I can tell he love affection . many times the minute i walk into his room , he is waiting at the door to get out . he loves his tail scratched and under his chin . and always wall asleep . he put his head right under my chin . I will admit i am still Leary having those teeth that close to my neck , even with him being tame . so i still keep a eye on him and if he ever licks my neck he move instantly . their sense of smell is very good and they have a very good appetite and you never now what you could have on you . If i walk into his room with dinner he goes crazy trying to get at my plate . He begs more than my Lab .

frost

1,000+ Post Club
ugh this thread is just making me want one more and more. thanks now i have a use for my arboreal cage. i wonder if there will be one at the next expo...i doubt it though.

RobK.

frost said:
ugh this thread is just making me want one more and more. thanks now i have a use for my arboreal cage. i wonder if there will be one at the next expo...i doubt it though.

i would get one form one of the well known breeders . I think it helps to get one from someone who has tame adults , i think ( maybe) the chances of you taming down could be greater . just a thought.. this video shows my Iguana's parents , second cage , Fred and Wilma . also IF you can get a male . easer to take care of , not eggs or nesting box to worry about . Not sure if anyone can really tell the sex of a baby though . If you can find a breeder who can , and has tame adult that would be a plus . Make sure they ship it with heat packs if you live where it cold , Tom Crutchfield did not with mine , its the only thing i didn't like about him .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUE5bex8TU&feature=plcp

IMG_5182.jpg

frost said:

he's got some very nice Rhino Iguana's
TyHerp @

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tys-Lizards/188828187820956

frost

1,000+ Post Club
hmm, i might give it a shot. how do you go about buying from ty? i looked at his facebook page but didnt really see a place to purchase animals. the only reason i would think of an expo is cost,but the health of some of the vendors animals isnt the best.i dont seem to have much luck with selling of my animals lately either lol. i just need to reread some threads about their care to refresh my mind before i decide if im going to buy one.

RobK.

frost said:
hmm, i might give it a shot. how do you go about buying from ty? i looked at his facebook page but didnt really see a place to purchase animals. the only reason i would think of an expo is cost,but the health of some of the vendors animals isnt the best.i dont seem to have much luck with selling of my animals lately either lol. i just need to reread some threads about their care to refresh my mind before i decide if im going to buy one.
\

I use a small cage at the begining , easier to trian IMO .

he sells his on here . 200 is a good price IMO , try to get a male IF possible , some probe them some don't .

[email protected]
see below
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352927
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

David Blair is good but $$$$ ,

Tom Crutchfield , but make sure you don't have one hipped if it real cold out .he does not use heat packs .

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks rob. what would be a small cage though? i have a few 35 gallons. thats about my smallest cages. and why a male? are they easier to tame?....er wait the egg binding thing. i would hate to have that happen to my little one. i cry like a baby every time i lose an animal...

RobK.

frost said:
thanks rob. what would be a small cage though? i have a few 35 gallons. thats about my smallest cages. and why a male? are they easier to tame?....er wait the egg binding thing. i would hate to have that happen to my little one. i cry like a baby every time i lose an animal...

at first on around times their length and with a hiding place for sure until they tame down .other wise you can never get close , IMO and NO eye contact until they calm down and are eating good , but many others on here know way more about iguanas than me so take it with a grain of salt
AND every iguana is different .you can tell a lot about them by watching the eyes and breathing .breathing should be slow and shallow on a calm iguana . and they should be NOT puffed up with air or leaning away from you . They do that to look BIGGER and when they are upset . you will see many photos of people holding the baby Rhinos , bragging about how full they are and how well they are eating ,BUT there are just scarred , upset and full of air . A calm iguana will not do that , me only does that NOW when he's showing a gesturing posture when my dog comes in the room it makes them LOOK bigger and fierce . if they hate bathing they will also do it then . this just what i have notice with mine and IMO

Roni and i are learning as we go . :0 )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029