• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Black & White Tegu Foot Problem

LuvMyReptiles

I have never owned a Tegu before, I have had mine for like a year or so now. I think when I got him from one of the reptile shows he came with an infection. I have been able to keep it under control but for the past month I would say it has gotten so much worse. The foot is swollen and almost looks like the skin on the bottom is gone. I know I should take him to a vet but I am unaware of one in my area that's close. I have a few pictures I wish they were better and I didn't have medicine on his foot right now. He also has something on the outside of his mouth. I hope someone can help me with this.

Attachments

• SAM_0335.JPG
    SAM_0335.JPG
    545.5 KB · Views: 96
  • SAM_0348.JPG
    SAM_0348.JPG
    467.8 KB · Views: 94
  • SAM_0351.JPG
    SAM_0351.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 92

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site.
He needs a Vet, here are two places you can start looking.
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/vet-listing.aspx

frost

1,000+ Post Club
wow, he is going to loose his foot. and if that infection spreads to his brain he will die. i dont mean to harp on you but you should have never let it get this bad... he might not have a leg if he lives.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, this may sound pretty damn harsh but the possible outcomes don't look good at all. The foot definitely looks like it'll be lost, but then you have the irritation on the mouth; if infectious, it has spread throughout the body, which makes it even worse. A vet check should have been done months back, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this tegu doesn't make it. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
If you are asking for a vet in your area, please let us know what your area is. This happens all the time on this forum. Put your state and city in your profile. I know a great reptile vet on Long Island in NY.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I don't mean to disagree but through years of doing rescues, I have seen foot problems equal to or worse than this and they have managed to keep the foot. You do need to get him to a vet ASAP. that has to be incredibly painful and because of the spread to the mouth, I would be its fungal. I would probably say the vet would flush it clean with saline or a betadine soak swab it for a fungal/bacteria infection and give you oral or injectable baytril for antibotics, metacam for a painkiller if you chose and a ointment or cream like silvedine to apply... Please let us know what the vet prescribes. Even if you have ZERO exotic/herp vets in your area or surrounding areas, any vet at this point should be able to help, try to get him in ASAP. Until then keep him warm, hydrated and on a paper towels to clean the areas clean. I would also deep clean and SANITIZE your entire enclosure and ALL decor as to not spread it back to him again...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The reason why a vet is so important at this point is that bacterial dermatitis and fungal dermatitis are treated with different medications. he really needs to be seen...looks very painful and will spread.

LuvMyReptiles

Thank you all for the input on this matter. I must say it does look very bad and neglectful on my part. As for where I am looking to find the vet yes my where abouts would be very helpful to others. I live in the Fort Worth, TX area. He does not seem to be in any pain he/she acts as usual, but I know that is no true tale to tell if it hurts or not. I thought by trying to take care of it myself I could make it better but I clearly see now that it's not the case. I am looking to get him to a vet as soon as I can find one.

Thank you again for your responses and I will keep it posted as to how things are going.

LuvMyReptiles

Went to the vet today. He gave some ointment to use but didn't seem to worried about the foot or the spot on the face. Told me that if it didn't start going down in 2 weeks to come back and he would do an x-ray. Also found out that my Tegu may be a girl, said he would probe next time to be sure.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good news. Sometimes photos look more drastic than real life, too. Any idea on what happened and how it got started?

LuvMyReptiles

I got him/her from a reptile show they tank was full of baby's I am thinking the infection must of been there from the beginning. But it only got this worse recently. The vet didn't give any kind of thought to what it was. But have been putting the ointment on and the spot on the face is gone of course the foot in pretty bad so it hasn't shown any major changes yet, but hoping that it will show changes soon.

LuvMyReptiles

Haven't been on in awhile, wanted to give an update. T-Gerrs is dong much better the spot on his face is still gone and the foot is improving. Will be going back for vet follow up soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980