• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Davedragon Blue just arrived!

Zilch

5 Year Member
Finally!

This all turned out to be quite an adventure (No fault of Dave's of course!). Monday morning Dave dropped the little guy off, it was processed through at 11:39AM Nov 9, he sent me the tracking information and everything seemed to be going just fine. Fast forward to the next day, I hadn't heard anything from the post office, so I called them, talked to a lady there who tried to inform me that "Shippers can't request hold at the post office!". After dealing with her I called the 800 number and was told to go to the office the package was due to be delivered to while she researched the case. Well I arrived at the post office at 4:00PM (an hour before closing) and was informed the package never arrived and that it had never left the state of origin!

Needless to say I was pretty ticked at USPS, so I started calling every person even loosely affiliated with mail carriage in an attempt to locate the package... no one seemed to have any real information for me and with Veterans Day taking place today it was looking like he'd be trapped in that box until Thursday. Finally I was able to get ahold of the express delivery department in Miami who were able to put me in contact with an answering machine (sigh) for the contract couriers that the post office hires for holiday deliveries. I had to wait out the night with no idea where the poor thing was located or when he'd arrive... it wasn't a great evening.

First thing this morning I got on the phone with the people at the courier and spoke to a rather nice lady named Shirley who had gotten the message first thing this morning and had picked the box out of the inbound items and gave it to a driver for delivery to my local post office for pickup. She had me head down to the post office while she contacted a supervisor who could further assist me. Upon arriving at the post office it was evident that NO ONE was there. The supervisor gave me a call directly and told me that there was to be a SOLE postal worker who would be coming in to the office and I would have to intercept them to be given my package.

After waiting an hour (it's now 9AM, and I'm an hour late for work), I call Al (the supervisor) back, and he contacts a manager for ANOTHER post office in the area who then calls me and takes over for Al. This guy sends me to yet another post office. After arriving at the second post office I get a phone call from the manager who tells me that he thinks the package is on a truck en route to yet ANOTHER post office and advises me to drive there.

I'm sure at this point in the story you can probably guess where this is going... the truck arrives at the third post office and surprise... it ISN'T on the truck! By process of elimination I take it upon myself to drive to the major West Palm Beach postal distribution office and park myself in the parking lot while waiting to hear back from the manager. Five minutes after arriving he calls me back and says that he has someone at that office looking for the package, I inform him that I'm in the parking lot and he advises me to sneak back to the loading docks and let myself in and ask for "Al".

I follow his advise and run into a truck driver, I tell him that I'm looking for Al, and he asks "Oh, you must be Jon... how did I know that..." as he presses a white sheet of paper to his forehead. He hands the paper to me and written on it is the name "John" with the words "Canary- Loose in facility" and a phone number- I politely inform him that while my name is Jon, the Canary is not mine but I am indeed seeking a lost pet. The man shows me in and introduces me to Al, who already knew the situation from our conversations earlier in the morning. He shows me to the bin where all the packages for my local post office are stored and we begin to go through it. As we're looking another guy walks by "You lost a LIZARD?!" and heads to a rack, looks in a box and pulls out a smaller box "Is this it?". Sure enough, the box was covered in post it notes saying "CALL CUSTOMER ON ARRIVAL" "CALL CUSTOMER IMMEDIATELY" and was addressed to me.

Al scanned it out and I popped open the box, and much to my relief there was a little baby tegu pushing at the lid trying to get out!

He's *already* chomping down on crickets like there's no tomorrow and drinking to his/her hearts content, and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!

Now for pictures! Excuse the quality- iPhone cameras are terrible =P

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Bonus ACTION shot of him snatching a drowning cricket out of his water dish:
IMG_0222.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm glad he made it OK!

2 other Tegu's made it across the country in one day (should have been a two day delivery) and the easy one got messed up. Go figure!!

Post some better pics later! :mrgreen:

Zilch

5 Year Member
I'll try to snag some with him/her outside of the tank, but for now I just want the little guy to get some R&R, they've had quite the ordeal! The little fellah is incredibly active and is eating like a pig right out of the box, which is a first for me haha

ashesc212

5 Year Member
What a dilemma that was! I'm so happy he arrived safely!

You are in luck though. Dave's blues are great and you were smart to get one. I bought one last year, Lucky is his name, and he is happy, healthy, tamer then the tamest dog, and HUGE!

Let me know if you need any advise/help.

Is this your first tegu? (Sorry if you have already mentioned this but I haven't been on in a few months so I haven't been keeping track of everything).

Zilch

5 Year Member
Thanks! I'm so thankful the little guy got here in one piece, it was a stressful couple days to be sure. Today he's eating heaps of turkey and wasn't even that difficult to get out of the enclosure... though whenever he spots the dog he flips out! He seems a lot less concerned about me today though.

Nah this isn't my first, I've actually got a Varnyard B&W and Red as well, but you can never know *too* much about these guys! I actually just cleared out a large walk-in closet today to turn into a tegu exploration room so the larger ones can pace around till their heart's content. At the rate that the little blue is eating I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be big enough to go exploring in there as well quite soon.

One thing I've noticed though is that baby blue's skin have the coolest texture!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Zilch said:
One thing I've noticed though is that baby blue's skin have the coolest texture!
I think most of them shed last week but it looks like some of them are shedding again. They're growing so fast I guess they have to shed often.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
OK I hope this worked. I am experiencing technical difficulties in the pic upload process. If it worked here are a few pics of my new family member. Thanks to Dave I finally got a Blue.
[attachment=2]
[attachment=0]
[attachment=1]

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 3
  • IMG_1409_edited.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 6
  • IMG_1410_edited.jpg

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Woo Hoo!!!!! :roon It worked! :mrgreen: Man I tried yesterday and gave up, but I figured it out tonight. I got him on tuesday ( I say him? two of my snakes turned out female, which was good because they get BIGGER, but I am a man and I would like to have a son this time hahaha, too bad Isis is a female name.) right after I got off the phone with my girl expressing my concern for the little guy. I thought because of the holiday he would be trapped in the box until Thursday. Dave and I were both a bit worried. Here are a couple more![attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• IMG_1411_edited.jpg
  • IMG_1412_edited.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 5

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great pics! I think you got the best one out of the clutch!!! But sure to keep posting pics of him as he grows.

I use PhotoBucket, it's very easy to use.

I like the way you covered 3 sides of the tank for his security.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Well I have named my Blue.....Samus! In the original Nintendo game "Metroid" That was the main characters name, all through the game you are ( I was ) under the impresion that the character is a HE, but low and behold at the end of the game HE takes of his power suit and, "WHAT THE DEVIL" HE is a SHE. Since I have no idea of Samus's gender I found it to be fitting.

Now the real reason for my post..........I almost lost Samus. I decided to let "him" take a cruz around the house, across the living room, down the hall, and into the kids room. When "he" got to the room "he" did a wheely across the room. Then over to the other side of the room. I was not concerned as there was no place for "him" to get stuck or hurt, so I thought...........in between the love seat and the book shelf ( about a 4" gap ) there was a old junction box in the wall where the cable used to be with no cover. Samus showed off "his" Jackie Chan moves and up the side of the love seat and staight into the wall.......HOLY SCHNIKE"S. I just about freaked out as I had no idea how the walls were built ( I live in an apartment ). I ran and got my flashlight looked in and could see "his" tail. I had no choice other than ripping a hole in the drywall, and quick. Samus is safely back in "his" enclosure. Man first outing and "he" found possibly the only potentially dangerous spot in the apartment. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I will be sealing up the hole tomorrow.

[attachment=1]

Here's Samus giving me the "What's your problem" look.
[attachment=0]

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpg
  • IMG_1432.jpg

mis jaksin

5 Year Member
that's horrible! but still kinda funny:) they definitely like to go in the complete opposite direction you want them to travel in.. glad he's safe!

Zilch

5 Year Member
Oh jeez and I thought MY story was traumatic. I'm glad you managed to get the little guy out... even if you had to put a hole in the wall :mrgreen:

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Thanks, I am very glad Samus is fine as well. You know, I figure I can fix the wall, fixing the dying tegu in the wall would take some divine act.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me