• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My journey

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
More ventalation I would think..... When I built Alphas new forever home I started to have the same problem but with more airholes I seam to have cured it.

James Smith

Okay thank you for that info Alpha Alpha. I read the back of the bag of the Coco husk shell mulch and it said in high humid environments there will be a growth of harmless mold. I read further and it also said to spray a mix of 2/1 (water/vinegar). The mold wild dissipate within 7 to 10 days. I moved Boga out and spayed a light coat over the entire enclosure. I waited until the smell left completely and then I put BOGA back. I will also add more ventilation as well.

James Smith

Just an update....
BOGA and I are making some baby steps that really is huge. He laid on my leg while basking for almost an hour off and on. I still haven't been able to hold him yet. I'm still working at it.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Although Alpha is really friendly and never shows any aggression, always letting me stroke his head, nose and even touch around his mouth area still has times he doesn't want to chill with me and if he is in that frame of mind no matter what I do he will not do it.....haha

James Smith

I cleaned out all the bad moldy substrate and replaced it with new. I cleaned the walls window and floor to make sure I rid the mold spores. I also placed my water feature in there as well. BOGA really seems to like it. He drinks from it as well. I think it is a pretty nice touch. What you guys think?
20181124_142503.jpg
20181124_142521.jpg

James Smith

It has one vent port on the left wall and I still need to add the two on either side of the window on the front wall. When I put the other vents in then yes it would. It has air flow but not enough.

He is so happy with the new updates. He was drinking out of the water pool right off the bat. He is incredible. He finally allowed me to hold him today with out any issues. After awhile he became uneasy as in saying
"Okay that's enough of that"... LOL....It was like he would not let me hold him because I did not give back any trust to him, so I took off my gloves and said I'll take the first step and when that happened he took a step to me. I do believe we made our first step among many more to come. I have taken my first step in being his friend for life. What a wonderful feeling.

James Smith

I think I found BOGA's favorite meal. Chicken livers and boiled eggs with shell on. Didn't care for the banana though, maybe he will build up a taste for bananas later.

James Smith

He really didn't want nothing to do with me today. I felt a little rejected. He is really rejecting me and I'm trying go real so slow with him and be patient. He is fine walking near me and he is fine basking on me but he do not like for me to hold him. Anyone gone through this rejection period? I would like to have better bond with him before he goes in brumation.

Griffin

Yeah its a lizard it’s not going to want to cuddle you and let you hold it and “play” with it. They gain a tolerance of you by associating you with good things such as food or warmth. Mine has days where she’ll signal she wants to come out by seeing me and pawing at the cage entrance. But it she doesn’t want to come out and I try getting her out she’ll let me know so I leave her be don’t force interaction.

James Smith

Yes, I do know this Griffin and it is true. Lizards are lizards. The thing I am concerned about is the non interaction becoming built aggression.

Another Adventure Experience:

I recieved my first bite or taste today. I was laying down on the floor and BOGA came up like normal licking his tongue tasting the air. I thought he was curious about my face, and I'm sure he was. BOGA notice a thick wiggly thing moving above my eye. It looked interesting enough to test his theory. BOGA leap as fast as his little legs can propel him and took nip. My eyebrows is so nice, I'm just concerned he will try it twice.
To be continued....

Griffin

Im confused as to how the lizard biting at something moving in the air near his face correlates with your pet not wanting to be held which should be clear because in their (tegus) thousands of years of evolution humans weren’t by their side holding them and cudding them. All I’m saying is the feeling of rejection should be non existent with a pet lizard if it doesn’t want to be held then leave it be , they aren’t puppies

James Smith

1. It seems that I wasn't clear. BOGA notice my eyebrow and probably thought it to be something interesting enough to taste, and I wasn't Cuddling him, and actually I haven't even tried too.

2. Cuddling isn't my issue it's the general picking him up, like say to the bathroom for bath time. I do not want to rush it but he absolutely do not want me to hold him, which I know it will come in time.

I have been able to stroke his back very gently, showing my hand first, and he raises his back, but not in a aggressive way. I do believe that is a start for a connection.

I realize BOGA isn't a dog but I am just posting my stages with him showing the build or fall in our relationship. By doing this candid look inside of our life I hope others can benefit on my failure and success with my long time commitment in loving a beautiful animal.

Last edited:

James Smith

Lastly BOGA didn't just bite something high up in the air. I was laying down on my side with my head on the floor. I was really close and I think that was my fault. There isn't a correlation between holding BOGA and the bite from BOGA. Two individual situations that has happen or is happening at the moment. I was hoping again that if there was something I said or shared could be explained by someone else experience or on the flip side maybe my experience could help someone else.

Last edited:

Griffin

Fair enough was just trying to stress the importance for you to remember you have a lizard, they are not dog, they will not act like a dog, and should not be treated like a dog. Going in with the mindset they are like a dog will be toxic, and in your case, you got upset because a lizard didn’t want to be held or cuddled, but best of luck with ya mate, I got a little one as well but completely tame after I used my methods based on observation and science and long hours through many days of patience

Also, BOGA looks pretty badass I must say.

Last edited:

James Smith

Thank you for that Griffin. I am doing the same as you. Not just trying to spend time but actually doing so. Some people say that they are, but really they could actually spend a little more time with their lizard. I am giving him space and allowing him to tell me what he wants. I just need to get him in the bath lol.
He's a "bad ass" little dirty boy lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced